post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 1973 280SEL 4.5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Climate Control Levers W108

Now that I have taken care of the major mechanical issues, I am starting to work on non-crucial components. Is there an easy way to remove the 4 climate control levers or the entire unit? Unfortunately, my CD manuals do not show these parts at all. I have 4 replacement levers and don't want to disassemble the entire dash only to find out I should pushed up on a certain corner and had it out in 2 minutes.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
If you don't want to disassemble the dash, you may want to consider Dura-Levers, an aftermarket product that allows you to replace the levers without all that work. They cost more than the OE replacements, but the time and work saved is substantial.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 07:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
I got to mine by taking out the center speaker grill, taking out the windshield wood, unscrewing the dash (you'll need an offset screwdriver to get to the screws, right at the glass), and pulled off the dash. I also took out the radio, and the chrome bezel assembly, leaving me complete access to the controls. In all, about an hour and a half to get it all out. The chrome bezel which surrounds the levers is held on by two nuts, one on either side of the assembly. You may or may not need to take it off to replace the controls
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 12:57 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2006
There is no easy way. The job isn't awful, but patients helps. Grubeguy is correct. The radio comes out and the dash speaker or dash plate in its place. Chrome trim comes off with two nuts fom back (should be 10mm). Move thecontrol to the "centered" position to get better access. Then, you will need to move the levers back and forth somewhat to line up the set screws. Also, pay good attention to the cables and where they attach or you will confuse yourself in reassembly. Also, pay attention to the metal cable clips that will jump into the dark recesses of the dash if you are careful. Sound like fun yet? Go for it! And any other questions, we are here for you.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 06:34 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 1981 300CD, 1973 280C
DURA LEVERS are the only way to go. Be aware the cause of the breakage, usually the cable binds within the covering causing undo stress on the levers. The effort to slide the levers should be slightly stiff but not sticky and they should slide with no intermittant binding felt.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: