post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1979 450 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 1979 450 SL engine knocking/right side

Recently purchased vehicle with app 80000 miles has knocking similar to valve clicking in right side of engine, but mechanic says cause of noise cannot be adjusted and that the source of the noise may be from a wrist pin. He also says engine could run like that for 100,000 more miles, but the noise is annoying. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:57 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 190E 3,2 / 560 SEC / 250-W113 - groop 6 Race car and other
Hi be carefull

you have a problem with the Valves on one side, you have to check the Valves

the are not Hydrauliksystem in your Engine it works Mechanikal.

Gottfried

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:29 AM
KCM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'm fairly certain your car has hydraulic valve lifters. I worked on a 1975 or 1976, and remember reading that the next year Mercedes went to hydraulic. It is true and not true that there is no adjustment. There is no major adjustment, but there are shims on top of the valve stems that adjust the lifters to get them all to the same height from the head. If they are not hydraulic, then they definitely can be adjusted, and should be.

I doubt the shims are an issue here, but it is possible a hydraulic valve lifter has gone bad and has collapsed. It does happen, and they are replaceable. A good mechanic can take the valve cover off and check each to make sure it is working properly. The wrist pin noise is possible, but sounds like he is just guessing. There is a tool that looks like a stethoscope that can be used to pinpoint the location of a noise without guessing.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Camshaft oil supply rail over the camshafts have tiny hiles where oil drips on camlobes. Usualy, holes get clogged and it starves lobes to dry condition. Metal on metal and no lubricant = valves start knocking.
Must do:
1. NEW plastic feeder on coper-like oil supply rail
2. good clean of same rail, holes too (3M makes good products for this, I would not use sandpaper)
3. You'll have to replace rockerarms and camshaft as needed but pointless to do unless 1. and 2. not done.

I've done it on both banks. :-(
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:42 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1978 Mercedes 450SLC , 1992 Mercedes 400 SE , 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Same Problem

Hello,

It sounds like I may have the same problem that you are experiencing. I have a 1978 450SLC and I have been hearing a tapping noise from the right valve bank. Is it possible to visually inspect the camshaft supply rail by just removing the valve cover? How would you recommend I would proceed with determining if that is indeed the cause of the noise.

Thanks in advance.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 06:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2000 C230 Kompressor, 1992 BMW 535i
if you're sure its on the right side, take the valve cover off and start the engine. you should be able to pinpoint which valve is making the noise. doing this will also let you see if the camshaft supply rail is actuall oiling the cam lobes
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 05:08 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Diagnosing wrist pin noise

..is simple,using rubber gloves or insulated pliers,just remove each plug connector in turn until the noise stops.If it doesn't stop the noise ,it's either tappets ,worn chain and tensioner rails or a cracked Piston .
in any case,ANY noise is of concern.The engine should idle smoothly and quietly with no noise what so ever.
This what happens when you ignore noises in a Mercedes V8...thats a valve head on the right hand side stuck in the broken remains of the piston.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:30 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1979 Mercedes 450 SL
my 79 450sl just started doing this same knock today. i have been slowly rebuilding the car and just put a replacement distributor in it today because the advance was bad on the old one. car fired right up and actually idled for the first time without my foot on the gas. after about five minutes the car shuttered and then started knocking from the right side and then stalled. It restarts and stays running if you keep your foot on the gas a little bit but is still knocking. Any suggestions on the sudden onset of knocking and why it wont idle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in