post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
71 250c Smells of Gas..?!?!?

Hi everyone!

I am new here. I have recently made the leap into the Mercedes owning world buy purchasing a 1971 250c for my second car. (Actually it was badged a 280c, shows you how much I knew and know). But I got a good deal on it.

Let me get to the point of this post, since I am sure that it will not be my last.

I have had the car worked on, belts changes, new hoses for the engine, new vapor hoses by the fuel tank (because they deteriorated after a few weeks of driving). I had the transmission flushed.... and the radiator "cored". I think that is about it.

The car is driving okay... it has a little bit of an issue with one of the Carbs which I hope to have addressed this week. I am also going to have the engine tuned a bit better...she is burning quite rich. The combination of the two issues makes it so I have to warm the car up for about 5 min before she settles in to driving mode. But with that, she smokes a little.

But one thing that has been going on, and it is a bit of a concern, is that she always seems to smell of gas. She was leaking gas at one point... This is how I figured out that the Vapor hoses were bad. But even after that was fixed, if you walk near the rea of the car, you will get big wafts of gasoline, and if you open the trunk... it is quite powerful. Now I read a post from another forum (found by searching google) that another person was having very similar issues and that someone mentioned about some sort of vapor return for that gas tank that goes into the trunk..???? Does that make sense? Obviously I am learning as I go, and trying to figure out as much as I can to One, fix this car as much as I can myself (a little hobby) and Two, become just more knowledgeable since I plan to buy more Vintage Merc's in the future.

Any help you all can provide would be incredible. Since I am flying blind here. I search as much as I can for similar issues, but I figured a post would help too.

Thank you all for your help.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 10:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
yeah, there is a vapor collection tank in the passenger's well in the trunk (right side behind the spare tire) sometimes mine smells like that too but i haven't figured out what the solution may be to this problem. would like to though so if you figure it out post up. i ended up putting on new lines on there too as well as the one that covers the connection from the tank to the lines that run to the front. it helped a little and exchanging the one on the supply line fixed the leak i had.

in political asylum

Last edited by mzsmbs; 04-29-2006 at 10:44 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 11:34 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 03 CLK320/82 300D Turbo
First, welcome and congrats on a very cool little car. You have a machine that is well built, fun to drive and is both rare enough to be different, yet plentiful enough that parts availability is a non-issue.

The best way to diagnose problems is to go from simplest first. Put the car on a lift and start poking around. Any wet spots around the seam of the gas tank? Trace the fuel lines, looking for leaks there. If the gas cap isn't original, or isn't sealing correctly, you'll get fumes as well. My '72 250C had what looked like an original MB gas cap, but it just didn't fit right. I replaced it with a corrrect one, and no more smell. Good luck, and BTW how about some pics?

"...Forward...unflinching, unswerving, indomitable, till the whole task is done and the world is safe and clean."- WSC
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)

So the new gas cap seems to be helping.
And it has been confirmed that there is a "vapor box" located under the spare tire. I have been told that sometimes this entire unit needs to be replaced. I am going to look at this this weekend and see if I can figure something out.

Anyone else have any tips?

Thank you
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 11:35 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Feb 2006
I can't off any tips but will be very interested in your investigations. My 250C does not smell of gas but if I put clothes etc in the boot - after a long drive - they do end up smelling of gas and it sounds like this "vapor box" could be the culprit.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
(Thread Starter)
I must say. I still have not had a chance to look into this "vapor box" thing, but the new gas cap has made all the difference in the world. No more gas smell coming from the car. No more gas smell inside the car. I can't believe that something as small as that has such a HUGE affect on the smell.

I will keep you all posted. Thank you everyone for the tips.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 04:59 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2006
A cool car indeed. I have the same car and love it. I stuck the hose from the box out the hole in the well seemed to help. I am looking for some help to mine has no pick up. I change the muffler and was told that would not effect the pick up.
any idears out there?
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: