BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: w115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
w115 odometer stopped working

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased my first classic, a w115. These are completely new to me however I also own a w202.

After collecting the w115 a few days ago I noticed that the odometer stopped working on my long journey home.

The speedo works fine and it is just the odometer and the trip counter that do not work.

Would anyone have any advice on what the problem might be and the best way to fault find the issue?

Many Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 06:16 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1974 Mercedes 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbos
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased my first classic, a w115. These are completely new to me however I also own a w202.

After collecting the w115 a few days ago I noticed that the odometer stopped working on my long journey home.

The speedo works fine and it is just the odometer and the trip counter that do not work.

Would anyone have any advice on what the problem might be and the best way to fault find the issue?

Many Thanks,
Try http://speedometer.com/ for about $100.00 they can repair speedometer/odometer unit with a one year guarantee on the repair.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Hey bigjon,

Thanks for the reply but I am based in the UK and was hopefully looking for a diagram or a HOWTO take the speedo out and look at the gears as I found a similar article although for a newer Mercedes.

Even a rough idea of how to get the speedo unit out of the dash would help.

Thanks,
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: '77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins, 02 Civic EX, 10 Mazda 5 Sport
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have 2 W115's and both odometers and trip meters were broken when I got them.

If you are doing it yourself. Go to http://dieselgiant.com/repairyourodometer.htm and that is a great site with pictures so that you can fix your odometer. I haven't tried it myself since I couldn't remove the speedo cluster but it's worth a shot.

1977 - W116 - 6.9
1974 - W115 - 240D /8 - 4(M) OM617.910 + Turbo + 300D FW - Completed 7/8/10
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 04:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1970-200 1983-230e
The whole cluster just pull out from the dash... It helps if you remove the under-dash panel and get your hand up behind the dash and push the cluster out.

It will come out a bit and you will need to remove the multi-wireplug and speedo-cable.

Then theres is the direct oil-line for the oil-pressure gauge.. this unbolts,use two spanners, one to counter hold (caution this contains engine-oil.. do not start engine with this line disconnected).

On older cars the temp cauge is a ether filled hose direct to the engine ... you can either disconnect the gauge at the engine and pull it through the firewall or just remove the temp-gauge from the cluster.. but this is a bit fiddly and you might loose/drop the screws.

Newer W115s have an electric gauge, this is connected thru the multi-wire plug..no problems here,

I have a cluster dismantled somewhere (also broken odo), i can grab some pics if you need.

Anil
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies.

I have manage to remove the cluster from the vehicle and followed the guide in the article that diametricalbenz posted.

I found that when I turn the pot metal gear the display does in fact advance the trip counter as well as the odometer. Is this correct or should this not happen?

I also find that if I turn the knob on the front of the cluster it turns the trip counter to 1111 then 2222 and so on but after reaching 9999 and then going to 0000 it increases the odometer by 1 mile.

Again, is this what is supposed to happen or not?

Many Thanks,
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 01:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yes on the first, no on the second.

in political asylum

Last edited by mzsmbs; 05-01-2006 at 12:47 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 11:36 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

I just put one back together yesterday and it did the same thing... when I re-set the tripmeter, it would increase the odometer by 1km. The problem was in the white roller (1/10 km) sticking.. it's actually 3 pieces.. 2 pcs seperated by a spring (easily dismantled, and your are left with the number barrel which is actually two pieces with an internal ratchet. If you've still got it in pieces you can try a bit of light oil, otherwise just try to move the ratchet part of it with a small screwdriver, its just sticking.

Anil
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 12:17 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1973 Mercedes 350 SL (gray market)
Just found this site so I may be a little late here. Hope it's fixed and working, but if not, follow the directions you downloaded very carefully and don't get ahead of yourself. I just repaired mine as per the directions from http://dieselgiant.com/repairyourodometer.htm and it's working fine. The pot metal gear on my "73" SL was n.g., which I'm told is common. Took a lot of patience, but it's fixed. (I hope) Now I'm trying to figure out how to get to the turn signal mechanism on the column. Somebody swiped my manual and I had a guy install a new arm etc several years ago and he hooked up the high beam switch in reverse. Got the steering wheel off, but afraid to touch anything without specific direction.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:08 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Theres nothing you can do at the switch from the column end..its all soldered except for the 2 horn wires (we are still talking about W115s right), you need to check under the dash where theres a big multi plug bolted to the cross-member.. its almost impossible to screw up unless someones opened up the connector and moved the wires about.

Anil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in