Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autozen
Ron,
Pleae elaborate on kit. I just installed a Unwired kit in a client's sons car. It took two hours and seems to perform well. Have you had problems with this kit? I don't usually work on vintage cars, but this guy has been faithful for many years, and the car belonged to the kid's grandpa. My client says to keep his son's car going at all cost, so I do. I chose to install the kit, because the only rebuilt servo available was an 03 which goes into the 116 and 107. This car is a 79 280 CE which requires the 06 in order for the flaps to work right. I hope I don't have any problems with this kit.
Peter
The kit I was referring to was a repair kit for the Servo, not the item you installed at all. And the 03 and 06 servos are completely interchangeable -- the only thing that separates them is a 4° temperature difference in regard to when they open and close.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 08:09 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: Many MBs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
The kit I was referring to was a repair kit for the Servo, not the item you installed at all. And the 03 and 06 servos are completely interchangeable -- the only thing that separates them is a 4° temperature difference in regard to when they open and close.
Thanks for clearing that up about the kits. I still beg to differ with you on the differences between the 03 and 06 servo. Where did you find the info on the temp difference? IIRC I had a flap issue between the two, but that was many years ago, and my memory is failing.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
No, there is no flap issue. I heard about the difference (or lack thereof) from a Mercedes service rep back when I was a parts manager at a major Benz dealer years ago. We always used them interchangeably.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:43 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: Many MBs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diametricalbenz
How is the AC servo identified as a 03 or an 06? Are there identifying markings or others that have been used?
There is an identifying sticker on the side of each servo. IIRC it is a three digit # like 103 and 104. I have a break down somewhere, but I'd really have to dig. As I stated in a later post, I don't work on these anymore. Most of my time now is spent breaking out codes on 1996s and up and solving problems in Control Area Network busses.

Since there seems to be an interest in keeping some of these ACC systems going, I did a little research. Way back when you needed a servo you ordered a an 03 or a 06. No one questioned why two different part #s. The servos looked identical so what's the diff. Since the systems are now so old, the only support available is a rebuilt 03 or an electronic replacement system. This got me thinking that the W116 and W107 chassis were more abundant and more profitable so owners of W123 cars would just have to take the wrong servo or leave it. Well I dug into my archives and found a test procedure for the complete ACC vacuum system. It is from MB in loose leaf format and not included in the manuals.There are 7 tests which cover all 3 models and an 8th test which is for the 116 and 107 models only. It now seems to me that a rebuilt 03 will function normally in a 116 or a 107 and have an extra vacuum circuit the 123 doesn't need. If I can figure out how to post the pages, the test would help folks find vacuum leaks to the various flaps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in