Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

75 230 Auto won't come out of park??

823 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  AMSOIL300CDT 
#1 ·
I just got a 75 230, 6 cylinder, 140K with a auto tranny that has been on blocks and hasn't run for 8 years. I made it run but the starter will only turn over the motor once in while and it will just spin up sounding like the starter bendix is bad?? I can't get the car out of gear? I looked at the manual and it shows the shift pattern but the streering column mounted shifter will not budge. I have tried it running, not, running, ebrake/brakes on/off, etc. I don't want to force it and I have even jacked the car up in the rear and rocked the wheels back and forth to try and un jam the linkage if it was jammed. What really stumps me is that with the car in park and the rear wheels off the ground if I turn the rear wheel hard enough it will turn the wheels even though the tranny is in park? Anyone have any ideas?? Benzs are new to me so I am clueless about them. Sorry for the long post

#2 ·
From one BW newbie to another!

If both rear wheels are off the ground, it is possible to turn one wheel with the other turning the opposite direction if you have a standard differential. Are you sure it is an automatic? I thought a 75 auto would have a floor shift. Both the 76 and 77 diesels we owned had floor shifters. The 71 had a column mount manual shifter.

As a mechanic may I suggest: Don't force anything! Someone will know how to fix it.

Have a nice day
Steve

G
#4 ·
normally i would guess that the linkage is sticking, while, physically seen, u HAVE to move the whole works, in order for it to shift at all.....in other words, the handle must be jammed......

but im probably wrong, so hang in there....[:0][:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.