post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 1976 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
looking for electrical help, 76 300D

Would appreciate some help, trying to keep an old Benz running.

Bought a sorta neglected '76 115 chassis 300D a few months ago, and have been doing my best to keep it on the road. I'd rate myself advanced beginner/intermediate with working on cars in general, *absolute beginner* with diesels. Please bear with some stupid questions...

Car left me stranded in a parking lot for the second time, wouldn't start. After the first time a few weeks ago, I installed a new battery (old didn't test out to well), and put in a new alternator and voltage regulator because the old one wasn't getting more than 8 volts to the battery.

This time, I got a jump start and drove it home, but the power available was so low it'd barely turn the windshield wipers. Also noticed a new buzz coming from a silver box relay under the steering column. Don't know if these two things (car won't start and buzzing box) are related. From picking thru some online parts catalogs, I think this box might be a glow plug relay. Has numbers: SK 9160, 000 545 9032, and "12V max 60A." It's bolted with a bracket under the steering column area. And last clue (if it's a clue), this relay was warm to the touch -- not hot, just warm.

So the questions;

Is there anything other than a short that would be the culprit here?

Where do I begin to look for a short? (i'm afraid of the answers to that one...) Is the [glow plug relay?] a suspect?

Thanks very much for any help!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: