Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

window tinting on my 113

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  79-300SD 
#1 ·
I just finished a rolling resto on my 280 SL. I want to tint the windows to save the interior and cut down some heat inside the car. My wife says that if we do it might detract from the value of the car because they never tinted them from the factory.I could not counter the statement so I am asking if anyone has any knowlege of this. I tinted the windows on the 300 SDL but I think that this was done to those later models. Any information would be helpful.

#2 ·
You can tint them if you want to, but it might look funny - what about the rear window? Is it plastic?
Regardless, it is quite easy to remove the tint without any harm, as it is just film.

I have always tinted all of my coupes and sedans, but not on my 560SL.

#4 ·
If its done tastefully, and the prospective buyer likes the look, then it enhances the value of the car. If, not then they can remove it in 5 minutes. Regardless, it will not alter the value of the car! You're not painting racing stripes down the middle, you applying a film to the windows. Don't listen to your wife!

#5 ·
Do a light metalic film tint...it will block most of the UV radiation without looking like you live in the "hood". That is if its not a plastic rear window....film can be removed from glass without leaving a trace without much effort because I have done it...with a window scraper that uses single edge razor blades...a caviat being windows with surface defroster grids...you will damage it using this meathod..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.