Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1975 280C Driveability vs. Original

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Grubeguy 
#1 ·
I just acquired a 1975 280C. The plumbing (vacuum lines) is mostly inoperable and unsure if the switch over valves, vacuum booster, etc. work at this point. It has the solex 4 barrel. Has anyone retro fitted a holley carb on the 2.8l engine? My desire right now is to be able to start up and run with reliability. It currently will not idle good. It looks like most of the vacuum lines that go to the solex have been capped and would probably run better with the egr operational. Would bypassing the egr and replacing the carb work/ cause any problems and retain important vacuum connections (brake booster, door locks)?

#2 ·
a friend of mine had a heap of trouble with the twin carbies on his old 250, he made adpators to suit the mounting points for the old carbies, and changed them to 2 1 3/4 su carbies a far bit of work & tuning, but he says it runs good now, no idle problems, better on fuel etc etc cheers mark

#3 ·
I replaced my solex (off a 280C) with a Weber (I later sold the car to a buddy who finally fixed the outstanding issues, as listed below). The weber came with all the mounting and adaptation stuff one would need, so the installation took me about 20 mins. Afterwards though, I had one heck of a time getting the car to run right. My milage went into the toilet, and I was constantly fiddling with the jets, the mixture, etc. Looking back on it, I wish I had someone look the fuel system over from top to bottom to see if my carb was as crappy as I had thought. The solexes, by the way, have a reputation for being complicated and cantankerous, and difficult to set up correctly. Given the procedure to tune the suckers, I've no doubt the reputation is well earned.

My suggestion is to find the plumbing diagram for your car, see where the vacuum lines go and come from, and see if the "fix" is easy.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.