Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

114 engines compatibility

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Buda wa Jamo 
#1 ·
I was wondering if any one can advise me about engine compatibility in the 114 body style.

I have a 1969 114.010 with a 114.920 engine/transmission in it.

I was wonder if a 1971 (114.011 chassis number) 130.923 engine/transmission will fit into the engine compartment as is, or will it need modification? What are the main differences in the engines? Will the rear end and drive shaft need to be changed or modified as well?

What about a 1969 220D? Will it fit and if so how much modification needs to be done as far as rear end, driveshaft etc.

I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me on these questions. Thank you

#2 ·
As a rule this era engine and transmision are matched to horsepower, so the gasoline engines will match. However, back in these days almost every one of these cars was built a little differently. Your question is a difficult one because there are so many variables. The diesel engine will not match up with a gasoline engine's transmission. You might be able to get some advice from the Classic Center on this idea. Their number is 1-866-622-5277.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.