300SL Gullwing for $6,800? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:06 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 92 300E 4MATIC(DD), 93 500SEL(Pa), 04 ML500(Ma), 86,88 190E(sold),'76 Sahara Yellow W123 200 (RIP)
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 300SL Gullwing for $6,800?

Quote:
Ed Mclass - 1/24/2006 5:24 PM

About one year ago an ad appeared in the Atlanta Journal, the Memphis Appeal, and the Nashville Tennessean to name a few papers, for a "mint" 300 SL Gullwing for $30,000. It turned out to be a scam of course. This scam was run all over the southeast with a "Deposit to hold the car." Anyone who believes that there is one just waiting to be discovered in a barn somewhere will be sadly mistaken. The Gullwing Group has a registry of Gullwings and roadsters in the WORLD! It would not be easy to pass one off as "Found."
Actually a guy in my province found one that was parked for 30 or so years in a barn covered with chicken poop, and out off all places Mission, BC!! Now with a lil' spit'polish,(and several thousand dollars) it's it concours condition.
mb-maniac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 01:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
1996_S500's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 300SL Gullwing for $6,800?

Quote:
mb-maniac - 1/25/2006 10:06 AM

Quote:
Ed Mclass - 1/24/2006 5:24 PM

About one year ago an ad appeared in the Atlanta Journal, the Memphis Appeal, and the Nashville Tennessean to name a few papers, for a "mint" 300 SL Gullwing for $30,000. It turned out to be a scam of course. This scam was run all over the southeast with a "Deposit to hold the car." Anyone who believes that there is one just waiting to be discovered in a barn somewhere will be sadly mistaken. The Gullwing Group has a registry of Gullwings and roadsters in the WORLD! It would not be easy to pass one off as "Found."
Actually a guy in my province found one that was parked for 30 or so years in a barn covered with chicken poop, and out off all places Mission, BC!! Now with a lil' spit'polish,(and several thousand dollars) it's it concours condition.
wow. You got any pics of that?.[:D] Sounds really nice.

My cars:

BLACK 1996 S500 (W140) - Sold

BURGUNDY 1989 560 SEL (W126) - Sold
____________________________________________

1996_S500 is offline  
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 02:29 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Riquiscott's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1972 250C, Ducati ST
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 300SL Gullwing for $6,800?

Quote:
Ed Mclass - 1/24/2006 8:24 PM

Anyone who believes that there is one just waiting to be discovered in a barn somewhere will be sadly mistaken. The Gullwing Group has a registry of Gullwings and roadsters in the WORLD! It would not be easy to pass one off as "Found."
As others have pointed out, it's not unreasonable to believe that previously-unaccounted-for 300SL's (asnd other rare cars) will continue to be discovered well into the future. The oldest known remaining Corvette (1953, serial #3) wasn't re-discovered until sometime in the 80's, and it's only been in the last few years that the last of the 1971 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda convertibles was accounted for (and that's with less than ten being produced in the first place).

The thing is, when these cars ARE discovered, people know enough about them that they're not going to show up on eBay for $6800. One of the last '71 Hemicudas found went for over $450,000, even though it needed a total restoration.

Scott Gardner
Riquiscott is offline  
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 02:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
1996_S500's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 300SL Gullwing for $6,800?

Quote:
Riquiscott - 1/25/2006 1:29 PM

One of the last '71 Hemicudas found went for over $450,000, even though it needed a total restoration.

Scott Gardner
wow. So i guess it is just the chassis that matters huh?

My cars:

BLACK 1996 S500 (W140) - Sold

BURGUNDY 1989 560 SEL (W126) - Sold
____________________________________________

1996_S500 is offline  
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 04:21 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 92 300E 4MATIC(DD), 93 500SEL(Pa), 04 ML500(Ma), 86,88 190E(sold),'76 Sahara Yellow W123 200 (RIP)
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 300SL Gullwing for $6,800?

Actually I did and tossed it recently, it was the 2005 Calendar car of the my the local insurance agency. I can still get it ,but I don't have a scanner. Sorry!
mb-maniac is offline  
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 04:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
1996_S500's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 300SL Gullwing for $6,800?

Quote:
mb-maniac - 1/25/2006 3:21 PM

Actually I did and tossed it recently, it was the 2005 Calendar car of the my the local insurance agency. I can still get it ,but I don't have a scanner. Sorry!
awww. thats ok. No problem. [;)]

My cars:

BLACK 1996 S500 (W140) - Sold

BURGUNDY 1989 560 SEL (W126) - Sold
____________________________________________

1996_S500 is offline  
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 06:06 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Riquiscott's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1972 250C, Ducati ST
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 300SL Gullwing for $6,800?

Quote:
1996_s500 - 1/25/2006 4:33 PM

Quote:
Riquiscott - 1/25/2006 1:29 PM

One of the last '71 Hemicudas found went for over $450,000, even though it needed a total restoration.

Scott Gardner
wow. So i guess it is just the chassis that matters huh?
To a certain extent, yes. That's why a perfect clone of a '71 Hemicuda convertible can be had for 80-100K, whereas one of the real ones recently went for $2 million plus.

I should point out that even though the $450,000 one I mentioned earlier needed a full resto, it didn't have a bunch of rust or missing parts, so it's not as if the buyer was spending $450k just to get the fender tag, build sheet, and serialized components to put into/onto another "donor" chassis.

Scott
Riquiscott is offline  
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 07:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
1996_S500's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 300SL Gullwing for $6,800?

Quote:
Riquiscott - 1/25/2006 5:06 PM

Quote:
1996_s500 - 1/25/2006 4:33 PM

Quote:
Riquiscott - 1/25/2006 1:29 PM

One of the last '71 Hemicudas found went for over $450,000, even though it needed a total restoration.

Scott Gardner
wow. So i guess it is just the chassis that matters huh?
To a certain extent, yes. That's why a perfect clone of a '71 Hemicuda convertible can be had for 80-100K, whereas one of the real ones recently went for $2 million plus.

I should point out that even though the $450,000 one I mentioned earlier needed a full resto, it didn't have a bunch of rust or missing parts, so it's not as if the buyer was spending $450k just to get the fender tag, build sheet, and serialized components to put into/onto another "donor" chassis.

Scott
wow. That is really amazing. How much would it cost to completely restore one of those cars?

My cars:

BLACK 1996 S500 (W140) - Sold

BURGUNDY 1989 560 SEL (W126) - Sold
____________________________________________

1996_S500 is offline  
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 03:54 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Riquiscott's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1972 250C, Ducati ST
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 300SL Gullwing for $6,800?

Quote:
1996_s500 - 1/25/2006 9:06 PM



wow. That is really amazing. How much would it cost to completely restore one of those cars?
To disassemble it down to every last nut and bolt, restore/rebuild everything to factory specs, including all the labels, tags, and identifying marks on the frame, you're probably looking in the neighborhood of $150k or so, possibly higher. That's to turn it into a reference-quality, Level #1, concours resto trailer queen.
Riquiscott is offline  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Extremist
 
79-300SD's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1979 300SD, 1983 300D Mercedes
Location: Hells Half Acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 79-300SD
RE: 300SL Gullwing for $6,800?

you would likely pay $6,800 for a rusted out shell. I see scam signs going off.

----------------------------------------

Speed is a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

----------------------------------------
Proud Owner of a

1979 W116 300SD

1983 W123 300D
----------------------------------------

Come join us at http://schumanautomotive.com/forums
79-300SD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome