BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: '71 280SE; '79 280CE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
taking dash wood outa 280

hey guys, it's me again; (uni[:x])
So my Q. this time is in regards to actually taking out the dash wood in my '71 280se w108, I'm talking about the wood that is on top of the dash directly in front of the windshield, for those of you that have'nt read my other post: the seal around my windsheild has been letting water in for I don't know how long(just got the car a few weeks ago) & the wood is destroyed & has an extremely foul odor[xx(] I plan on getting either a new peice from herritage woodworks, or also the guy who works on my two babies said he'd try to get a replacement for me (if anyone else know's of any places besides herritage please let me know!!!)soooo can you guy's please give me step by step instructions on how to do this?!?!?!?! I'm trying to do as much of the work on my Bettie(the name of my 280se)as I can because I am in beauty school to become a hair dresser and although I bartend on the weekends, I don't have a lot of extra $$$ after rent, bills,& tuition every month etc. at any rate I'm not tryin' to give you boys a sob story, just lettin' you know that I am gratefull for any D.I.Y help y'all can give[:I]
thanx again guys-
uni[:x]
P.S.
posted some more pics on my profile....take a peek!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 06:10 AM
kpb
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: taking dash wood outa 280

thanx for the additional pix, i see some of the boys are gettin' riled up now!

dash bow removal -- you need to pop at least one of the a pilar covers off. those are the vinyl covered pad-type things that run down the inside of the front upright pillars at either end of the windshield.

as i recall, firm pushing/sliding from the driver's seat toward the front of the car should remove the one iby the driver. the clips holding these in are sorta odd and if you pry directly up, the clip will snap (I know!)

once you have a pillar cover off, remove the speaker grill in the top center of your dash, only two tiny phillips screws I believe and there may be a lip at the front which sorta slips under the dash bow itself.

under the grill are a few screws, 2 or 3 which clearly retain the wooden dash bow. i think these are the only screws as toward the ends of the dash bow there are some wodden flanges which soarta pop under a metal lip on the car and secure the bow towards the ends.

you should need to flex the bow a bit as you pull it up and toward you, try to slightly bend one end, probably with the end with pillar pad removed. if it is really tight, make sure there are no more retaining screws but i do not recall any in the defroster vents cut-outs or elsewhere.

good luck, hope this helps.

btw, reinstallation was not the pain i expected as flexing the new bow was not as hard as getting the old one out. since i broke one of my pillar clips i just glued the pillar pad back in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in