LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
110 - 190db clutch frozen

I went to take my finback out of storage the other day and although she started up and ran fine, the clutch seems frozen to the flywheel. The car has been sitting for six or seven months in a garage.

The clutch master and slave seem to be working because I can see the mechanism at the bell housing moving when I depress the clutch. But I can not select a gear unless the engine is switched off. When I try to restart in gear with the clutch depressed, the car moves when the starter is engaged.

I tried rocking the car back and forth in gear to no avail. Since the car ran fine the last time I had it out, I don't think the pressure plate has failed; I think the clutch plate is stuck to the flywheel surface. Is there any way to access the clutch plate to give it a "shot" to try to break it free? I would prefer to avoid pulling the gearbox and bell housing off if I don't have to. Has anyone been through this before?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 09:47 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
RE: 110 - 190db clutch frozen

I have that happen occasionally after washing my Ford with a manual tranny, after just sitting overnight. I get it out in the open and start it up in gear with the clutch pedal pressed. It usually breaks loose quickly, but once in a while I have to slightly depress the brake.

This is common with farm tractors that sit over the winter or for long periods of time. The clutch disc sticks to the flywheel due to moisture accumulation. You will want to look for a access cover that is removable under the flywheel/clutch assembly (common on old American cars). If none, and it won't break loose, you might have to remove the tranny to get in there and break it loose manually.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the info.

Has anyone had this happen to them with their Benz? And if you weren't successful in driving until it freed itself, what did you do?

Any suggestions?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 03:06 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 300TE 4-Matic 300GD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi tuttebenne.

KCM is quite right. But after months, heat will be necessary.

Start it, and let it warm up to normal engine temp.

Stop it. Put it in gear, and start the car. Yes the car will move, and the point is to keep it in first gear while driving slowly with the clutch pedal depressed. Pump the gas pedal real brutal to maximize the torsion between the clutch plate and flywheel. Usually it comes along quite fast. You will know when the engine revs up. Keeping the clutch depressed all the time is the secret.

After it's loose, take some time to "gear down". For example in 80 km/h, press the clutch, let the engine idle, and put it in a lower gear. Then release the clutch slowly so that the engine revs up to meet the gear.

Doing a couple of 97 year old man starts (take offs) afterwards would only be helpful. If you have the chance to study one, do so. You'll know what I mean.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: