Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1976 240D-W115 half-shaft (axle) replacement procedure

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  grimestone 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I recently purchased a 76 240D-W115-auto. The mechanic installing new tires discovered a torn right inner CV boot. The left side CV boots are cracked and about to split. This shop wants $1000 to change the boots and $1400 to install rebuilt axles.

I called around to a few auto parts places and I can get rebuilt half shafts for $78. My problem is that I can't find any auto repair places to install parts I purchase. So I've been giving very serious thought to installing rebuilt axle shafts on my own.

So is replacing an axle shaft a huge pain in the ass? The procedure I'm planning on attempting is as follows:

1) jack/block up car
2) remove tire
3) remove brake caliper by removing the two 19mm bolts on the back of caliper
4) remove small bolt on end of wheelshaft and remove rotor
5) somehow remove axle shaft from remaining wheel assembly
6) drain differential
7) remove rubber differential mount
8) open differential case and look for axle retaining clip and remove
9) pull out axle shaft from differential

The step's I'm most concerned with are #'s 5,8,& 9.
Concering step #5- I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for or the torque involved to get the axle shaft out of the wheel.

Concerning step #8 - I'm sure something has to hold the axle shaft in the differential, I'm not sure if a special tool is required to remove.

Concerning step #9 - I'm not sure how much torque is required to remove.

I would be grateful if someone could give me a few pointers before I attempted this project. I'd really hate to get things torn down and realize I need special tools to get the axle shafts out.

Kind Regards,

The 240Dork [}:)]

See less See more
#3 ·
The clip fits the groove on the end of the spline shaft and requires a snap ring plier with the right size tip and angle---You might want to place a shop rag inside the case to keep from losing the snap ring---that is what keeps the shaft in place -- Use a brass drift to punch the shaft free from the hub--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.