mercmad question - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 72 280SEL 4.5(airbagged), race cars:88 560 SEL, 74 SLC, 67 200, daily: 99 C43, 06 E55 wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
mercmad question

do you have any schematic drawings the front suspension? I am looking for one showing a 108 vs. 109 w/ air ride. Trying to fugue out the differences and what it will take to convert my 108. I would like to use all aftermarket parts, but a MB pump, but I am not sure of how the suspensions are different (if at all).

Performance parts for w126, r/c107, w201, m117, m119, m102, m104 and few other things.

Reproduction 17" Penta wheels coming soon.

Feind Motorsports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 08:28 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
RE: mercmad question

I just sold (last friday! ) on ebay the complete front end for a Air suspension !!!for $10.
the front axle assembly is identical from W110 to W109.Same parts were used throughout.(different brakes of course)
OK ,so much for that,the main difference is the bottom A arm,it is "upside down" on the Air suspension front end,because the lower part of the air bag sits in it,the upper part is the same as the steel spring ,in fact any steel spring front crossmember has the 3 holes to secure the airbag in place!.
Converting a air front end to steel springs is a easy swapping over the bottom arm and fitting coils and vice versa.
There are two types of bottom arms for 109's though,the early ones and the later reinforced ones with a strut to prevent cracking.Always inspect potential purchases of arms for signs of cracking on the outside (kingpin) end,they fail as you pull up to a stop ,never at speed luckily.[:)]
Is your 108 a V8?, Iam selling a complete Air pump set up on Ebay at the moment.It will fit all merc V8s (except M100) up to the W126 m116 with mods.
The merc compressor will handle any lowering or raising easily with plenty of volume.http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MESE%3AIT&rd=1
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 72 280SEL 4.5(airbagged), race cars:88 560 SEL, 74 SLC, 67 200, daily: 99 C43, 06 E55 wagon
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

thanks for the heads up o n the pump, may have to wait on that. I have seen them got for 50 bucks here on ebay. Is that a different pump? That and the shipping would probably kill me from down under.

I want to convert my 108 with a 4.5 to air ride with after market bags, controler, valves, lines, ect. www.airride.com makes some cool stuff.

Performance parts for w126, r/c107, w201, m117, m119, m102, m104 and few other things.

Reproduction 17" Penta wheels coming soon.

Feind Motorsports
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 05:23 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005

If you can buy just the pump for $50 it's a genuine bargain,BUT,you have to have the entire setup which includes the sump....,it won't fit any other way.You have to remember the oil feed for the compressor and the sump connection,Then there is the water pump divertor casting,which moves the lower hose mounting past the compressor.
So as you can see,just buying the compressor is NOT going to get you pumpin'.
Normally these setups go for around $3500 US,but when did you last see one for sale?there weren't that many 300SEL 3.5 or 4.5's built.
6.3's are totally different and mount on top of the engine with the powersteer pump running though it .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in