LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Choices choices!!

I've got the chance to finally but a "classic" merc,.. granted it's in a pathetic ondition, but given time and money It'll be back to "as new" only question is that since this model is WAY before my time I'd appreciate some info about these things as in what model designation is it and what should I know about these things as well as possible soures for partts for these things. Only about 6 were ever imported to the country so I'll have to import everything for it.

Alternative is another 68 VW Beetle,... beetle is a 1500cc and this one is a 1800 I think. Still not too sure if the Merc guy will settle for my offer (same prce as the VW) - is it worth offering more than what the VW is worth? It's as rare as hell over here so I'm intreagued.

Only problem is that it's gonna be my wifes first car and she loves old cars,... so it'll be a daily driver (low miles though).

Lemme know what you think?
Attached Images
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2004
(Thread Starter)
RE: Choices choices!!

Here's the beetle just for comparison, it's a solid runner but is missing a few body panels which are lying inside the car. Both wil need the same amount of work,.... any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24_1640004_1024200591825AM.jpg (44.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 24_1640004_1024200591856AM.jpg (39.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 24_1640004_1024200591919AM.jpg (43.9 KB, 26 views)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 06:24 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

i would say go with the Benz, at any price....i'm sure u know why....[;)]
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 04:42 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jan 2005

The merc is a W110 Four Cylinder?,It is extremely Rough,and looks like it was a taxi cab in another life.For what it would cost to ressurect that car,starting with good second hand doors ( getting hard to find now ) Bumpers ,a good grill,paint..and heaven knows how bad the front end is,because there are lots of moving parts I would be inclined to advise you to look a bit harder and buy a better car,and buy that one for spares.But looking at it ,I would say that there will be very few parts worth using.Same goes for the beetle,it's not a rare model e.g. oval or split rear window, so it's just another beetle.
mporting a car into Pakistan would be a better alternative,if you wanted a classic like that one.I see them (w110-W111) for sale here quite often at give away prices.Look on the OZ ebay site to give you an idea of the prices.Why I suggest this is,because if you condider what it would cost in just parts for tyhe blue W110 you could buyt a car here,and then the labour involved to repair the car would be more than the cost of freighting a car from here to there.
.....and your wife won't go ballistic when you start spending bulk amounts of money on a money pit of a car.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: