HELP - buying advice... and then running advice 72 280SE 3.5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HELP - buying advice... and then running advice 72 280SE 3.5

So I have been watching for a 280se for literally a couple of years on and off. (Previoulsy I was into old VW's). I live in the UK and really wanted a car with Air cond which has finally come up. However the car also has an engine fault which the seller (Owner for the last 10 years) says he believes is a sticking valve. I have had this work priced locally (Bout £1k for two recond heads fitted part exchange)

Is there is anything else I should specifically be interested in on this model? Questions I should ask?

Any help gratefully received.

Also anyone suggest a UK supplier for mechanical parts like exhaust/brakes etc?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 01:58 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: HELP - buying advice... and then running advice 72 280SE 3.5

Never heard of a sticking valve because that engine will have valve rotators.
I would suggest that you get a "leak down " test done.NOT a compression test.
3.5 heads are RARE!
I know because i have two sets here and have received wild offers for them from all over the world....and i've never advertised them.
In a 3.5 the first thing is to do if you've actually bought the car,is get the timing chain changed,change all the fluids,replace the fuel filter and ALL EFI hoses from the gas tank forward.They run at 28PSI and it's common for the old hoses to leak and spray hot fuel over the engine....[}:)]
Get the igniton overhualed,i find it easier to pull the distributor and check the trigger points in the bottom at the same time,sealing them in with silicone.
New plugs ,points and condensor and a check for resistance in the leads should get rid of any gremlins .
With your leak down check done,new igniton and all the hoses for the efi sorted,with clean oil ,tranny fluid and brake fluid it should be OK to run.You can now start chasing fualts in the Djetronic...
If it were mine i would also get the radiator flushed because i suspect that you have a corroded head ,that's what is causing the miss.The block and radiator will be full of crap because of this.All the coolant hoses will be shot ,and really should be replaced every six years but it's not unusual to find them on cars when they are 30 + years old.
Parts should be easy to buy from any Merc Dealer near you or any large motor factor in the UK.Especially one that deals in Euro cars such as VW Porsche etc
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: