LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1972 250C, Ducati ST
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Location of window motor fuses in W114/115?

Are there invididual fuses for the electric window motors? If so, where are they? The right-rear window in my 250C went down with no problems this morning, but will not come back up. Neither the console switch nor the switch directly under the window does anything. I don't hear the motor spinning or binding when I press the switch.

The main fusebox under the hood doesn't list any fuses for the window motors, and none of the eight unlabeled 16-amp fuses I've found under the hood so far are blown. Are there more fuses under the dash?

It's sunny out now, but it's only a matter of time before the weather turns back to crap, so I'm anxious to get this fixed.

Thanks,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
RE: Location of window motor fuses in W114/115?

Just got back from looking under the hood. I found four 16A fuses near the passenger-side firewall that appear to provide power to the window motors. All four fuses are good, and the wires on the load side of the fuses are receiving power. There were two relays under the same bracket that held the fuses, but I removed both relays and my three "good" windows still worked, so I don't think those relays have anything to do with the windows.

I pulled the right-rear door panel, but with the window down inside the panel, I didn't have much room to work and couldn't see much.

Unless there's a separate relay somewhere just for the right-rear window motor, I'm beginning to suspect either a bad motor or a bad wiring connection to the motor. The window has worked 100% prior to this morning.

Scott
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 06:43 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005

Your window has just succombed to the usual Mercedes old age malady..the glass gets sticky in the tracks and the motors are so good they just rip the guts out of the winder mechanism or bend the alloy frame that holds the whole show together..To repair it ,you will have to find another 114 with power windows(Not easy) and remove the window winders to build a new one for yours.108-116 use the same basic components so a little shopping around the wreckers will be called for.
To remove the winder assembly ,undo the window glass from the winder mechanism ,you can do this by removing a clip on the sliding roller ,that slides along the bottom of the glass itself or undo the 10 mm nuts on the metal frame on the bottom of the glass.Push the glass to top of the window frame (closed).
the winder is held by a series of 10 mm nuts to the inner door panel,undo those and drop the winder into the door,trace the wiring along to the a junction.
At this point i will say that there are several different ways of joing the winder to the loom,so you must find the outer most end of the wiring harness to undo it,some are pushed together with bakelite plugs and others had a junction box with 3 screws..all different.Pull it clear of the door and see if the frame is bent 9most likely) or the gear on the motor or the large half moon gear in stripped,(either or both )In all of those cases the parts must be replaced,there being No point trying to straighten the alloy frame because it just crack and break.
Once you have reassembled the door,lube the window tracks with either powdered Graphite,or rubber grease,it is most important that the glass slides as easy as possible in the tracks.
Over time the metal alligator strips in the tracks rust and the size of the slot shrinks grabbing the glass.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Update - problem resolved

Right-rear window is working again. The problem turned out to be the power window switch in the center console. Because of the way the switches are wired, when the center-console switch failed, it prevented the switch in the rear next to the window from working either.

Thanks to all for the posted and e-mailed tips.

Scott Gardner
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 02:57 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005

whoops!, I should have mentioned checking the switches,they get full of stuff off the console like soft drink[:(][:(]you can pull them apart and clean them to get them working again.Something which is done quite often.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Well, here's another update. Replacing the window switch only fixed the problem for a week or two. This time, the window motor locked up tight. I suspect the motor has been failing for a while, and drawing excessive current, which is probably what killed the original window switch.

Of course, the window motor seized with the window in the "down" position, so it was a pain to get the old motor out and the new one in. Fortunately, my mechanic did the work instead of me, and a new window motor was still available from the MB warehouse in Germany. $278 for the new motor, and $300 for all of the removal/replacement/alignment work. Worth every penny as far as I'm concerned. I did find a new set of window switches on eBay for cheap, so now I have another complete set for future troubleshooting purposes.

Scot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in