LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
220D gremlins

Recently visited the tiny hot little island of Cyprus and fell in love with a 220d that on the exterior looked fine but on closer inspection the interior resembled a chicken coup , seats torn to shreds and sun bleached. Anyway I took it to a local garage because it needed the door window winding mechanisms replaced, and luckily found some other reasonable condition vinyl seats from another 220 that is used for spares, does anyone have any tips on what gremlins too look out for, I have agreed to buy the car and get in resprayed, so just need to know what to look out for. Not sure of the year but the licence plate is mv 383, no idea how old, and does anyone know if the clearance of the car from the ground is higher than most modern mercs or is it just my imagination ?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 08:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RE: 220D gremlins

You don't mention how many miles, but I'm betting it was a taxi. Made from 1967-1976. Compression check would be a good idea. Also is it standard or automatic? The clearance was no higher than other MB's, so it could have been modified with stiffer springs for taxi use. The engine is a good one and parts are readily available, If it has nor been run in awahile it would be a good idea to have your mechanic do a "diesel purge" to get all the sludge, algae, and gunk out of the fuel system. CHANGE the oil and all FUEL filters too! These are great old Diesels and will serve well if maintained.[:D]
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:15 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 230, 1986 190E 2.3-16, 1978 450SLC, 1971 220D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 220D gremlins

The biggest gremlin that I look out for is rust. The W115's seem to attract the rust worms in very strage locations--ie behind the headlights, the trunk, and bottom of the fenders and doors. Other than that, I have not had any real problems with my 1971 220D and as stated earlier in the previous post, they are very reliable and parts are easy to acquire. Changing the oil and keeping the oil level full seem to be the key to keeping the motor in good running condition. If the car seems to be rust free and the mechanics are in good shape--go for it--it will be a very good and reliable car for you to enjoy for years.

Todd Oneth
Stephenville TX

1971 220D
2002 SLK 230
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: