LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'78 450 SEL, 245K; buying advice please

My elderly neighbor is the 2nd owner of this car, a really clean rust-free one that's been impeccably maintained including lots of nice details like all new leather, wheels, reconditioned A/C system, etc. What is this car worth realistically? He's asking $3950 (the car is so nice it looks like it's worth at least 4 times that). What are the problem areas I should watch out for at this mileage, and how many miles can the engine and tranny be expected to last with proper maintenance? I know very little about these cars but I do know they can be extremely expensive to keep running when major components start to go. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 07:37 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: SL320, 300e, 450SL
RE: '78 450 SEL, 245K; buying advice please

Larry...its fourth and inches...PUNT!! Just my opinion, id offer half just to get it off their hands. You can only buy so much jello when you reach 100 years old, so kick er in the teeth and offer half. If that sucker needs anything major, theres $1k,2k,3k+ to keep it on the road. Will this be a daily driver or just a Sunday church vehicle??[:0].
What color is this peach? Have you met the old lady that it belonged to? I like to butter up old ladies when it comes to buying stuff off them like rubbing their feet, telling them how nice their 1 can of aqua net hairspray perm looks,watching countless episodes of wheel of fortune, or going for the occasional ride in their lark. But thats just me. let us know what transpires...BC[:X]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 04:08 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2005

Larry-
the bottom line is SELs are beautiful cars, but there's not a big market for old ones with high miles.
I'd say $2-3000 max. You're going to have to put $1-2000 per year into it for maitenance to keep it going - at least.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 06:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: Euro 280SE W116, Euro 500SEL W126, Euro 300TE W124
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to PANZR

Hi, great cars these, I'm not sure of the market for these cars in the US but that seems a little high in price for those miles, even though with proper care it could double that, have you driven it? I'm no expert(although as an owner of one I sometimes like to think I am) Have it start from cold and check for smoke(possible worn valve guides/seals), try if you can to do a bit of hill driving, drive downhill at then shove it into a low gear and check for smoke(possible piston ring wear) if your still serious get a compression test done. Check the condition of the engine belts, the M117 engines in these cars are naturally a bit noisy being of OHC design with a lot of clatter coming from under the cam covers but listen for any intermittent noises or squealing(alternator/water pump?) and of course check for any fluid leaks oil/coolant, These are just things that could apply to any vehicle and maybe you already know, so hopefully as you say it's been impeccably maintained it will be fine, the M117 engine is near bomb proof, my 450SEL has had a very very hard life and although it's not perfect it's still as strong as an Ox, good luck

It doesn't have a name...it's just a car
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 06:26 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005

A regular 450SEL with 245,000 miles is worth about $100 here in OZ.thats what the scrap guys will pay for it ,because of the high prices the chinese are paying for scrap.
Don't forget the US has now driven the price of Oil up to $67 a barrell.....[:(]
It doesn't matter what the conditon appears to be,they last quite well as it is.BUT if it is a 6.9 with the M-100 then it could be worth $3000 up,depending on what buyer will pay.A good 6.9 with a FULL service history will fetch $20,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in