Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What type of Brake Fluid?....

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Ralph69220d 
#1 ·
1973 280C

Hello all! This car is kicking me all around right now. I just bought a new brake master cylinder, only to find out during installation that one of the hard lines has stripped threads....and now the brake reservoir broke at the stems.....blah.

Anyway, once I get all that squared away, what type of brake fluid does this vehicle use? DOT3 DOT4? Anything in particular? I was trying to look up the info in my documents, but haven't come up with anything.

As always, thanks!

#3 ·
I prefer to use ATE SuperBlue. It is easy to tell when you have flushed the system out, plus the higher boiling point is a plus. I have been using that in my shop exclusively for over 3 years.

#5 ·
I know on my 69 220d you're supposed to use dot3 and nothing above. I don't know if this is true, but a MB mechanic said the rubber elements in the braking system changes in makeup as well as other things, so that you should not go above that recommended. I'm sure you can do a search and find out whether dot4 would be ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.