post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220Sb
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
220S Drain Hole Question: Vents Behind Rear Windows

I can tell I'll be asking advice on a number of questions of the experts here on the board as I proceed on the work on Maxine, our fine new (to us) '65 220Sb.

This question relates to water drain holes for the vertical (chromed) vents just aft of the rear windows on my sedan.
Maxine is our second fintail. I found these drain vents to be plugged on our first fintail and believe they are also on Maxine. Maxine's wheel wells are well undercoated and I can't recall exactly where the drain is in the wheel wells.

Can someone help? Hopefully with a detailed description or a picture?
Are there sources of information that might list and show the drain vents on a 220S? Since my first efforts are to remedy all Maxine's rust areas, I want to make certain I have identified and cleared any clogged vents.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 04:40 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: 220S Drain Hole Question: Vents Behind Rear Windows

To find the holes you need to remove the rear wheels,the drains are in the outer part of the wheel housing and look like a slot,The idea of these is that air flow from the rear wheels acts to suck air and thus water from the slots and drain the air vents.
if you climb into the trunk and look with a flash light into the corners facing the rear door C pillar you should see a rubber hose,normally this will be connected to the wheel house drain but some times the rough and ready body work shops will just hang the hose into the trunk where it will either drain into the rockers (RUST) or into the boxes in the rear of the trunk(MORE RUST).The hose is a odd size and I'm pretty sure it's no longer available.In the pic the panel marked "6" is the rearv wheel house ,the markes near the top indicate where the drain slots can be found.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: