LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
190Dc shift-linkage repairs

I've been searching high and low on the net for any and all information about the column shifting mechanisms on the W110 fintail series. I can't seem to find a darn thing for free... I'm used to lots of free info for another vintage car of mine, including nice mechanical drawings from the old parts-catalogues.

Anyway, I'm trying to fix the linkages that are atached to the firewall at the end of the stearing column. Specifically I need to know how to work with those ball-joint and socket linkage-mechanisms. Do I need some special tool for popping the balls back into socket, and how can they be seperated without damage?

I'm helping restore this basket-case 190 belonging to a friend, and since it was purchased in a not-running state, we don't know the condition of the tranny or the brakes. The tranny may just be stuck because the linkages are all obviously appart between the above-mentioned part and the two rods going under the firewall to actuate the tranny. I've heard that the likely problem is in the linkage interconnects rather than the transmission. How common is it on these old MBZ's to have the transmission just stick in one gear like second?

Once (and if...) we get the tranny fixed, how can we check the brakes also, without rolling it? Obviously we don't want to just take it out on the road and find out we can't stop! We're just newbie kids, can you tell...?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:07 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jun 2004
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
RE: 190Dc shift-linkage repairs

Been a while since I worked on linkages, but I know that no special tools are required. A lot of the linkages on that model are a ball and socket, and you just pry the socket off of the ball with a large screwdriver. Others just pry off as well. There are plastic bushings in the linkages that deteriorate over time and fall out but are still available new, probably the problem you have. Haven't heard of any transmission problems, they are pretty bullit-proof. Most likely it is your linkages. You should be able to unhook them from the transmission and shift it manually using the levers on the side.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
RE: 190Dc shift-linkage repairs

Thanks for the tips. I'm hoping that it IS just the linkages.

Do you have any idea where I can hunt down the inside-socket grommet parts? Should I go to a MB dealership, or are these so standard I can go to any old major auto-parts chain?

Also... do you have any idea which lever controls which functions on this transmission? Reverse for one lever, and 1 through 4 on the other I'm guessing?...

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: