best bet in vintage? I own an Audi now.... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: May 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
best bet in vintage? I own an Audi now....

I need help and you look like the people who know the answers. I am a realtor who sells high end property in Seattle. I am currently driving an Audi S4. There is not enough room in the backseat for my clients to be comfortable for 4 to 6 hours. I would like to buy a vintage Mercedes because of their classic beauty. My preference is for the older models with lots of chrome that look like the German ambassador should be in the back seat. But I worry a little about maintenence, upkeep, ect. I'd welcome any advice from your forum. You seem to be experts. PS, I really don't want to get to know my mechanic better than I do what should I do? Models, years, recommendations? Oh yes, let's try to keep it under 15K including rebuilds, ect.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 01:43 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2005
RE: best bet in vintage? I own an Audi now....

Cool idea to take clients in a classic Mercedes but consider this...

Do you want to drive it in the rain and snow? An older Mercedes has nowhere near the rust protection compared to today's cars. It will rot... fast.

Compared to today's cars (especially an S4)the performance and handling will be dramatically different. Especially loaded with people.

If you get an older Mercedes and something does fails can you afford to be without the car for several days? Often parts will take some searching to find.
(Also, it would be bad to have it fail when clients are along for the ride)

Do you want a diesel?

Would a later model suite you better? '80's 300 series perhaps. Probably more comfortable and possibly more reliable. You may find getting parts easier as well.

If I had my way, I'd own about 3 classic cars and drive those everyday of the year. One that fits each need... a sedan (280 SE)... a sporty coupe (Early MKI Capri) and a cool old truck.

However, I live in Minnesota where there's more salt on our roads than an McDonald's fries and it gets cold. In terms of technology and handling, newer cars are meant to be cars we can get in and just drive.

I'll drive my Subaru, baby the 'Benz and keep hoping for more sunny days.

'70 280 SE

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 04:30 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1963 220b

read some threads from this forum and see all the problems all these people are having and ask yourself if you really want to get involved with this. It is worth it when my car (1963 fin back) runs, but it will never be a daily driver.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 04:53 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: None

Honestly, I'd go with a 1990-1991 560SEL or 420SEL if I were a real estate agent. Those cars have acres of room for the back seaters. Right blend of image, power, reliability, class, affordability, room. Remember that the 560 has reclinable and heated back seats. The 560 also has the auto adjusting rear suspension for your heavier clients.

If legroom is the primary concern and you don't want a W126 and you insist on truely vintage, I'd consider:

1) 600 SWB (If you could afford a S4 new, you can get one of these) These were really meant for ambassadors, dictators and rock stars.
2) W116 450SEL (or 6.9) get as close to 1980 as you can, the later ones are better.
3) W108 280SEL (or 3.5/4.5)/W109 300SEL (or 3.5/4.5/6.3)
Just make sure that it says "SEL" on the back and you should be fine LOL. As stated above by another, you'll probably want to go with a newer hence as I said about the 560 and 420. Can get a real gem with the W126 S-class for $10,000 - $20,000.

Make sure you find a low mileage example that has records/a story and is pristine.

Go here:
Expensive, but all are perfect examples with low mileage and full records.

Also consider a 2000 Audi A8L 4.2 quattro if you want to stay with the brand with the four rings. More affordable and impressive than you may think. Remember, an A8L not just an A8 LOL.

Good luck!

1990 560SEL - W126
-929 nautical blue metallic & 262 navy blue leather
-58,000 KM (36,200 Miles)
-Euro spec Japanese import (KAT edition)
-Complete service history since new
-5,546cc SOHC 16v V8
-10.0:1 compression
-285 hp@5200 rpm, 324 lb/ft@3750 rpm
-2.65 limited slip diff
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 08:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

I think, this is your car right here: 66&rd=1

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: