LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'65 190D - Two repair difficultly questions

1) How difficult is it to remove and replace a front quarter-panel (otherwise known as a wing, or fender) with a "new" used unit? On one of my old classic other makes, it's as simple as unbolting and removing, and bolting the new one back on. I don't seem to see any seems around the front grill area that would allow this on the 190D however.

2) The column-shift linkage system on my prospective 190D is broken. I've searched high-and-low on the web for some kind of diagrams or information about how this system worked, but couldn't find anything. I did find one little blurb about this being a common weakness of this shifting system. How hard is this item to fix onself, if you already have the correct part? How much would be a reasonable price to pay a reputable shop to do it?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:58 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jun 2004
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
RE: '65 190D - Two repair difficultly questions

I assume you have a W110 fintail.

1) The fender bolts on as you suspect. The fender is fairly big and wraps around to the front, bolting on behind the grill. It is not too difficult to remove (lots of bolts) unless it still has the factory undercoating on the underside. That can sometimes be a pain to cut loose.

2) The main problem I know with the shifter is that the plastic bushings connecting the lever to the transmission linkages under the car deteriorate from age. Also, the rubber in the ball of the lever also deteriorates. All the bushings are cheap and easy to install. Unless somebody has really beat up the lever assembly, my guess is the bushings are the only problem. Never been inside the steering column, so can't tell you what's inside, but I don't think it is very complicated.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 12:49 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: '65 190D - Two repair difficultly questions

KCM is dead right,there are little bushes that connect to the shift linkage on the trans,and the top bush in the column.It is very unlikely there will be a problem with the column,I have a pile of columns here,and some came off cars that had been "around the clock" more than a few times.The column itself never wears or affects the shifting.Have a look at the firewall and go down to the trans from there.Get someone to wiggle the play in the shift lever,you will soon see where the play is at.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: