BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
What's a modified W114 CE worth?

With more time to think and save than spend money, I'm currently the man with a million plans.
I know it may seem sacrilige but I'm sure some of you can appreciate other examples of fantastic German engineering and I quite like Porsches, but I'm starting from scratch financially and they're expensive.

So the current plan is looking like:
get done saving
W114 250CE
save
Porsche 944/951
save
Porsche 928S-4

Now I've done this kind of thing before and I'm pretty good at modifying a car on a budget, I know enough to get the most out of little. What I'm concerned about is getting a little help from a bit of work towards some solid resale value, ie. getting to that DOHC V8 Porsche quicker.

So what I'm interested in is what you guys like in a classic Merc with your eye to buy.

See, I can't stand a mediocre 0-60 and any car of mine absolutely must be describable as "quick," it's just a theme I've managed to keep since before I got my license and I don't want to break my own tradition.
But with my eyes on a 928 and years moving quickly I can't afford to simply toss money away. Well too much of it at least. I only earn a basic wage, after all.

So what sort of things do Merc enthusiasts look for when buying their own cars?
Good detailing, I've got that covered (trade experience).
Safety first, I'm into good tyres and brakes/steering/suspension must be maintained.
Clean interior, I only like to change the radio/speakers on a classic.

But what puts you off?
Engine modification is my sore point. I can't not do it. I'll buy a car and tear out the stock air cleaner on the way driving it home. ERB ends up in the boot within minutes.
I'll decide the engine from that body type, that I'm going to go with and get an aftermarket exhaust fitted. A performance air cleaner will be there as soon as I get to a speed shop.
I'll switch a carby 250C or an auto 250CE to a 2.8E/manual transplant. Or fit a turbo. Or both.

So since you guys are the Merc buyers, how much will I devalue or fail to increase the value of the car?
Say I'm looking at a 250C/CE at the moment for around AUD$3000 locally.
I clean it nice, fit good tyres, maybe upgrade the rims. Get the suspension, steering and brakes freshened up, drop the stance a little.
Put in a nice 2.8E/manual, very clean looking. A turbo/intercooler. Spend maybe $5000.
How much would you pay for a car like this? Would anyone even be interested, or would I be spending money on a boat anchor?

driving a fast car should feel like falling off a building.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 1972 280CE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
RE: What's a modified W114 CE worth?

There was a gun metal grey one rolling around in west london back in the late 90's. I think it was a 76 280CE with 16 inch Azev A's. Beautiful car.
Last I saw, it was up for sale at a private dealership for about 6000 GBP.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)

It's probably already been asked and answered somewhere, but just in case mercmad pops in here at some stage I was just wondering how the M114 coupes take to V8 transplants.

I've sourced a couple of 250C's and CE's in good nick cheap (although I won't get one in the driveway for a few weeks yet). So now I'm deciding whether to supercharge a 2.8 litre and drop that in or fit an alumiunium V8 of some description (M116/117, whatever I can get my hands on).

The thing to keep in mind is a low budget project. I'm prepared to spend on necessary items but don't want to go reengineering the chassis or anything.
The 280sel 3.5/4.5 is a completely different animal to the 114 isn't it?

Supercharging is cheap because I can specify the flat top piston, 8:1 Aust. post-1978 M110 and pump in a good 14psi boost on a basically stock engine.

But if I could spend around the same on a bolt in M116/117 engine I'd probably rather that.

So how hard is a V8 fitment?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 04:20 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've seen a few 114 mercs on the German sites with V8s,the later all alloy 116/117 motors are their favorites,especially the 500 motor,no problems with computor driven cam timing as you would find on the 119 engine from a 500SL.I think it's a great idea,BUT,are you in melbourne ,Florida or Melbourne ,Victoria?,don't forget you are in AUSTRALIA,land of the f$%$@##% small minded buerocrat,Make sure you speak to the relevent people first to ensure that you will get it regoed.
The trans tunnel is big enough to accept the V8 and trans (same trans ,just more mods inside,about 600 mods actually).
Talk with CRS in Castlemaine,who are real experts at supercharging odd engines.But to my way of thinking,and if you are on the typical battlers income,buy a nissan r33 half cut and fit that RB TURBO MONSTER!.[}:)]
There are a lot of these imported into OZ from nipland and are cheap considering you get half a car and everything for a conversion job.If you want a manual ,get the trans from a commodore and the pedals etc.
Merc brakes are unbeatble,just reco the master cylynder and callipers,fit new discs up front and your luaghing.The hot setup in Germany is W126 brakes on the front with stock rears.It's a bolt on job with no drama what so ever.
Whats it all worth? what ever the market will pay son,what ever the market will pay....[:)]
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 04:34 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

[:D]Beuty is also in the eye of the beholder,or between the eyes.....[8D]
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 04:36 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

OK same car,different paint...[8D]
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 04:40 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

4.5 liter V8,where does a 400 pound gorilla sit?,any where he f&*&^%% wants too!.[}:)]
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 04:47 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

See the ladies ,see the ladies look at your wild car....[:D]
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Being an engine not offered by the manufacturer as an original option, I'll need an engineer's report for the M116/117 or RB27DT (something like that, I can't remember the stupid Nissan engine code system), but as you say if the stock brakes are already good, and considering either engine transplant doesn't weigh anything like a cast iron big block...the official VicRoads/nationwide RTA guidelines are:

For a standard chassis and subframe sedan or coupe (different rules for cab-chassis and utes, and monocoque construction),

Up to the original kerb weight (kg's) of the vehicle X 4.82 in cubic capacity (cc's) for a naturally aspirated engine conversion.

Up to the original kerb weight (kg's) of vehicle x 4 in cubic capacity (cc's) for a supercharged or turbocharged engine conversion.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Which means if the W114 even weighs anywhere near a W123 I can pop a 440 Mopar or a supercharged LS-2 in it if I want, so long as the brakes, suspension and other items are up to scratch and I have a satisfactory engineer's report.

Everyone loves those RB27-30 engines around here, I know...which is probably why I hate 'em. Can't stand the bloody things. Give me an old red motor any day and I'll get 250hp out of that easy as tripping over a cowpat' and enough torque to give a centimetre of wheelstand on the left-front.

I'm still running computer models on supercharged/turbo'd M110's, it's going to come down to what turns out cheaper overall. I'd be pretty happy with either (merc F/I 6 or N/A 8) in that body type but I don't think it'd feel right with anything else, it's just too classy a shape for that I reckons.

I can pipe a centrifugal to the k-jetronic or get a custom manifold and pop a Holley on a roots, but I think that'll get expensive, even though the better performer in the long run.
I'll have to weigh up costs against an engineer's certificate (won't need one with an M110 if I say it was out of an W114 280C, honest it was).

Thanks for the info mercmad, it'll help me out a ton.
[^]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in