Supercharging a '67 250SE - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 250SE RHD, 1969 300SE L, 1989 560SEC with AMG upgrades, 1998 s600 coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to ChopTop250SE
(Thread Starter)
RE: Supercharging a '67 250SE

Guys, that was my initial concept and still my ultimate choice, to have a V12 [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] . However, right now I am lacking contacts with good local mechanics to work on the car, to give pointers and contacts to locate good engine/trans. I asked a couple of "Mercedes Techs" if they had any idea how I could put in a V12 in this car. They started to whine so much, about how the computer is going to be a problem, this and that I said foget it. THEN I wanted a 6.3, because of the power and because it is a gorgeous engine. However, I still have not been able to locate one in a usable condition, an affordable one, or an affordable donor car.
Then, everytime I start my car, even after sitting for 6 months, it starts right up and runs smooth like a Swiss whatch. It almost feels bad to get rid of that engine. Powerwise, I am not looking to make a racer or a dragster. I will probably not race the car at all. This car is going to travel to many shows (real shows not parking lot shows) so I have to be really carefull with it. I wanted it to have enough power so I can show off now and then just to prove that it is not all looks. So even though a 6.9, 5.0 aluminum will be more powerfull, I think I still would rather go with a 6.3. If I can't find a 6.3 engine $ trans, then I will probably stick to the original 2.5 and add a nice supercharger or a turbo. However all of this said, I cannot make up my mind yet. I, and the producers of the Discovery show haven't gone all out to find sponsors, yet. Maybe we might be able to get some serious guys involved and pull off the ultimate. Some of our "go getter" guys are so good we might even be able to grab AMG's attention [:D]
All of the info you guys are giving me is priceless. Like I said earlier, I am going to print all this and the ones to come and sit down with some brains to see what we can do.

About the RHD 4 speed floor shift. I knew it was a rare car first time I saw it about 4 yrs ago. I asked the elderly couple, the first owners, to sell it to me and they denied. Two years passed and I came accross them again and was able to convince [:D]

They had bought the car in '67 in England and had it transported to dry South Africa, where the car lived it's whole life. RHD w/o rust [:D]. I drove it like that for a year and enjoyed it. People look, ask, leave notes, point with their fingers like you would not believe.
Choppin' a W111 was always in my head since way back when. So I had mixed thoughts about chopping this one. I thought, and still sometimes think, it is a stupid choice to chop a rare one like this. BUT, on the other hand, having a RHD floor shift coupe chopped and customized tastefully is even more exotic. I just hope some fanatic purist doesn't shoot me at a show while exhibitng LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 05:25 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

Oh, a sponsored show car, you should've mentioned.

Retrotech is big in shows. Pop in a DOHC 2002 era V8 (whatever model falls into your lap), toss the engine covers in the bin and fit a custom air cleaner setup that shows off the stock GT-style intake manifolding. With some stainless tubular headers it'll look and go fantastic.
Do something funky with the transmission like those aftermarket "lightning rods" you used to see on autos (3 or 4 shifter sticks controlling gear selection). It catches the eye and gives that rodding look.
I saw a turbo sitting under the rear of a US drag car recently, where the rear muffler should be, the fat tail pipes just sticking out of the housing. You could put a real low-boost one like that on the high tech V8 just to be different (not aiming for any actual performance gain).
Detail your undercarriage in things like sheets of polished aluminium (ie. replace the floorplan, then carpet but it'll look great underneath).
And don't forget the nitrous.

Yeah, you're a lucky man. It's a beautiful car. Moreso in the pics you've drawn for it.

driving a fast car should feel like falling off a building.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 09:47 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Kahren,have you tried talking to any of the major Mercedes wreckers?.I have a good wrecker 10 minutes from me here who can give me an answer within seconds if i need to know something like.."can i put a w123 diff under my W111 220SE?" .the answer was of course yes,it's in a cradle and I only need to fab up some brackets to hold the springs and weld in some mounts etc to hold it in place.True independence.
So there you have it.if you need to know .ask the people who spend all day pulling these cars apart.
Here in OZ,I have seen all sorts of engines in Mercs of our vintage,including a mazda RX7 [xx(]
But M-100's do it for me,see my posts in the vintage forum of the 6.3 engine and the black 6.3 demonstrating what happens when you give it too much boot!.
Your front end is identical to the 6.3 ,same part numbers in fact,the bottom "A" arms are different because you have springs instead of airbags.
Also in OZ ,the hot set up is a power rack and pinion steering unit from A GM "Holden " commodore.Your car being RHD is ideal for this.The Holden commodore is being marketed in the US as a Pontiac GTO.Not much of a car but they have some useful bits.
If you find a merc V8 to drop in ,you MUST include the trans,and computor,it's no big deal,todays mercedes techs are a bunch of dills compared to the old guys who knew everything about your car and all the older models besides.I wouldn't bother talking to them because they have trouble doing anything without a diagnostic computor.As i just said ,talk with the wreckers.[;)]
Also,the ideal is to buy a donor car,a wriiten off(totalled) 500SL or 600SL and swap over everything you need.It's done a lot in Germany where welding of cars is frowned upon by the TUEV.[:(!]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in