BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Cam
(Thread Starter)
She just won't start!

Hello again everyone,

following on from my last thread, the engine situation is rectified (rebuilt). However since I put the engine and trans back in the car I have been unable to get the starter to turn. All the wiring and so on is connected, checked and double checked but it just won't crank in either P or N. Nor any of the other gears (Thought I'd try just incase).
I lined up the brass coloured fiiting on the inside of the gear selector on the side of the trans with the hole in the tranny casing that is shown in the Haynes manual, but it still doesn't want to register N or P and let the starter turn.
There is mention of a starter inhibitor switch somewhere on the firewall, but there is no such thing on my car, nor the donor W114 that I have.

Once again I'm stumped so thought I'd hassle you guys for help[8D]

Cheers,
Cam

P.S. The car is a '72 W114 230.6 RHD column shift automatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Cam
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
RE: She just won't start!

Fixed it...

Feel abit silly over this one. I thought it was the inhibitor switch so was messing around with that. Then I thought why not try the solenoid my old starter. Sure enough that was it. Odd though, paticularly since the donor starter motor was working perfectly before we pulled it out of the donor car [?]
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 05:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: '80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

To add to same odd equasion, recently a friend with nice 250 W123 could not strart engine. Few local electrical wannabies cold not find the culprit for no response to key turning.
Battery that had only 10V apparently had everything running but starter was inhibited. Recharge gave it spark. I guess there must be some kind of power sensor that disables starter to protect the battery if battery is flat. There was no usual "klank-klank" sound as if batt is flat.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 05:33 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

On all the mercs that we have here,the is a terminal block with three major connections.Always check and clean this block while you are investigating electrical faults because 9.5 times out of ten that is where most problems start.Then check the state off the earth strap to the body and the one to the engine.
I have a mate who has a AMG 6.9 (450SEL 7.2 liter) that never hads an interior light or horn until he checked the block and earth strap,Voila!.Everything works ,no more hot start problems and no more embearressing breakdowns in traffic.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Cam
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Where abouts is this terminal? It sounds interesting.

What sounds even more interesting is your mates AMG [:0]
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 01:18 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

In your 114 it's onthe drivers side on the inner front mudguard,it has three terminals with up to six cables,the biggest being the main feed from the battery,the smallest energises the solenoid.So if you want to quick start your engine,run a lead from the positive on the battery to the smallest cable and bingo,engine turns over.handy if you are setting points etc. Re the AMG,
My mates name is David And the car is for sale.
contact him at
David Byrne
E-mail Address(es):
david_bn@bigpond.net.au
iT HAS 7.2 LITERS,HOT CAMS ,HUGE PERFORMANCE ETC ETC.
[}:)]
Not for the timid.....[}:)][}:)][}:)]
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Cam
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Cool, ta that will be very handy to know.

How much is your friend asking for the AMG?

Another saga has come to hand. After running the car for about 5 minutes to adjust the carbies I noticed this (see pic) and shut her off straight away.
The oil in the dipstick was off white as was the oil inside the rocker cover and leaking out from around the filter.
Attached Images

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Cam
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Oh and the radiator was bone dry... With no external leaks, which has me really, really, really worried.[B)]
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 01:33 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Did you make absolutley sure you have the correct head gasket?,there are gaskets that fit 230/250/280/and they are all different.It sounds like the water has gone straight in the sump.Dump that oil now,and fill up with clean diesel (high detergent) oil,turn the engine with out the plugs to flush as much water ouyt as possible.The engine will be okay ,just don't wait too long.Dump this oil along with the filter.
Remove the head and compare the head gaskets.
Check for excess corosion.

Ps the asking price for the AMG is around $18,000.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Cam
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Yep, got the right 230.6 one for it.

I dumped the oil out, didn't appear to be any water in the sump and the oil came out measured out to be under 5 litres with no seperation or nasty suprises. The radiator after being refilled has held its level after being started again. I need a new gasket for behind the oil filter block which has to be ordered in. I've changed the oil, patched the gasket (so it doesn't leak as much but still allows me to test the system) and it all seems okay now. Theres no sign of oil in the radiator or water in the oil.
I think the radiator drained a fair bit of water out of it whilst filling up all the water ways, heater, etc... and when the motor was out just happened to be the most rainfall Melbourne has had in over 150yrs so everything (house, workshop, carport, etc...) got flooded. So I'm assuming moisture must of gotten in the block when it had no head or sump on it. Even though it didn't get wet everything else around it did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in