post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 67 250SE Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W111.021 compensator spring and rear end noise

took the coupe down to a garage after passing it on a test run after installing new points conversion. had the mech look at the rear end for noise coming from rear axle. whirling sound comes and goes when driving. possible wheel bearings going south on right rear, but in car and driving sounds like its coming from left. still not sure. swerving car left to right on the roll makes noise come and go. left noise comes, right noise disappears....sometimes. moving above 35mph whirling noise more noticable, naturally louder as speed increase. car placed on lift and mech shook both rear wheels. left seems tight, right has movement on both vertical and horizontal play, not much, but more than left. question #1, how had is it to replace both inner and outer bearings on shaft? has anyone done this at home?

checked tranny mount for possible cause. tranny mount looks dry with minor cracks, needs replace regardless. took a pry bar and shoved under tranny and cross brace. lifted to see how much play. i can lift tranny a good 1 1/2 inches, by my guesstimation from cross brace. flex on prop shaft looks ok, intermediate rubber mount looks ok with alittle play, very minor. question #2 how much play should i have with the tranny mount? I would say some but not 1 1/2 inches.

with car in the air i had a chance to look at the compensator spring. noticed the car with wheels tilted alittle on ground. some say normal and not excessive, but with anything in the trunk will cause tilt to increase accordingly. read somewhere that a selection of springs were available to adjust height and tilt, guessing it would be longer or shorter for type of operation to car. spring was free floating when car in air. u would still need a spring compressor to remove from in between brackets, but non the less free to move in brackets. question #3 can you find a new spring? does someone make an aftermarket spring and shock combo? where can i find one?

thanks to all in advance...........grez

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:27 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: W111.021 compensator spring and rear end noise

the rear mount can sag to the point where the trans is sitting on the crossmember and you wouldn't know the difference,There should NO movement in the center bearing,which i would say that is where your noise is comming from.Diff noise is very rare ,but noise from the center rubber mount will be transmitted into the car if the mount is perished.It's a simple part but needs a skilled hand to install.The springs are adjustable,but there is some issues to be checked first.
The two torque arms must be flat and straight .
The two rubber donuts in the front end of the arms must be in good order,they are a service part that should be changed every 60,000 miles.the springs sit on a steel pad and are isulatred by a rubber washer.On the Top is a large thick rubber donut that the body sits on the spring with.that is available in three different thicknesses.

The compensator spring should still be tight in the bracket with wheels of the ground.You can retro fit the hydraulic compensator off the 108.
Wheel bearings on the right are adjustable,they have a locking collar,but i suspect it will be worn out.It will start to leak oil on to the handbrake shoes soon.
The springs are available in several different lengths and coil sizes.They have a series of painted stripes on them and this is how you determine the spring you have.
The rubber bits must all be in good condition,then you check the camber of the rear wheels.they should verticle with the car loaded with full tank of fuel etc.to get the wheels vertical ,the steel pads on the torque arms have three possitions,that can raise or lower the car ,thus tilting the top of the rear wheels in or out.If you look under the torque arm you will see the bolts holding the pad in place.
It's all pretty easy....really[:D]
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: