why would you get a 25 car year old with all the problems it implicates? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 03:38 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: '81 280SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: why would you get a 25 car year old with all the problems it implicates?

Quote:
architect2 - 11/29/2004 6:03 PM

Right off you'll notice a nice 1978 280E cost $45,000 less than a 2005 E320.
BINGO!!! I would love a C43 but at AU$50k I can't afford one at the moment. So I'm stuck with a 126...not so bad is it?

You also need to look at how you approach it. Buying an old Mercedes is like buying an old house in a classy suburb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: I hope to own a diesel Benz with a stick shift one day.
(Thread Starter)

¨The 300 D came with a complete service history starting in 1981. This and other evidence indicated the car was well cared for.¨

yes the car that i am looking at is being sold by the guy who bought it new in 1978 and he has taken care of it and showed my service records and receipts.

well yeah this car is old house being bought in a classy suburb only that the old house is too expensive or overpriced.So a honda civic or hyundai excel is like buying a new trailer home in a trailer park.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 04:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE

Quote:
eso7 - 12/1/2004 11:02 AM

So a honda civic or hyundai excel is like buying a new trailer home in a trailer park.
…can’t argue with that…
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 05:30 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 83 300D
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you are not able/willing to fix any car then by all means you should by new. But if you enjoy bringing a car "back to life" and can work with your hands then there is no better car for the value than the older Mercedes cars right now. You have a disadvantage of your laws but that doesn't change the fact for the rest of us.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: I hope to own a diesel Benz with a stick shift one day.
(Thread Starter)

yeah think that i should wait before i start negotiating with this guy. i still have not seen 2 240d´s that are priced 2000 us dollars and 4000 us dollars.i must go see them in about 2 weeks i will have time and go. but if not i will buy this one.the 300d is a good vehicle and i know it will last long if maintained well and driven well.but i saw the other day a lot of cars that were being sold for about 30,000 dollars an up on ebay and they were old and they were 1960´s plymouth roadrunner or 1960´s pontiac gto.and superbird and 1959 cadillac eldorado . old but expensive cars.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 01:06 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: Many MBs (40?)
Send a message via MSN to kweimer

"A well maintained 25 y/o MB is better than a new car. On a personal note: I hate the way modern cars look so much – even MBs – that I can only drive the old cars."

All the new cars look like jelly-beans. A new Toyota or Nissan in my rearview mirror looks the same as a new Mercedes.

The old cars are solid. A 1970 220D I bought new has 720,000 miles on the clock. I will not buy a Mercedes later than 1976 (having bought one 1981 300SD) and have three diesels "on the road"...two 1975-1976 300D's and a 1975 240D. I don't concern myself with service history...my main criteria is good straight body and good interior. Anything else can be fixed or replaced. And regardless of condition, a 25 year old Mercedes...in excellent condition...is valued at only $100 at the local tax office...a three dollar tax tab. Big difference on the tab on a $40,000 valuation that a new Mercedes could bring. Maintenance is the key to keeping an older car running...with some of the newer cars, even maintenance can't keep them running...unless you own several oil wells.
Ken

"If I can't fix it, it don't get fixed"
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 10:24 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

I may be a new guy here but am I missing something? You dont come into a mercedes restoration with the intention of saving big bucks, bottom line you get what you pay for. I have restored personally over 40 american cars over the past 13 years and it is now that I bought my first mercedes(1972 250) and let me tell you that I did not know what i was missing. The engineering on these cars are amazing. The parts are not cheap but then again if you were looking for a deal at every step you dont deserve even driving one-just go get yourself a baja bug. I purchased my good body 250 for 1000.00 and my bad body with a org 56k engine for 400.00. I now have 6600.00 invested in the car and for that money i have the entire front end and steering rebuilt,new gear box,pump,alt,fuel pump,all gaskets on both tranny and engine,mounts,shocks,tuneup.the car runs like an airplane.I just purchased the weber set up and the pertronix module for the distributor. WHen im done i will have sukken al together including purchase price 10,000 dollars. What can you get now a days that goes for 10,000 with theclass only mercedes can bring? I personally dont think hondas should even be mentioned here.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 07:09 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: None

Simple.

25 year old cars have proven themselves and fail because of degeneration and parts getting old. New cars fail right out of the factory with flaws built right into them - imagine how new cars with faults built into them will be when they actually get old.

Oh, but it's so easy to forgive a car that has these faults, with the warrenty, the leather seats, the heated seats and the cool tachometer you just have to show all your friends.

Why do you think warrenties have gotten so comprehensive and last longer? Yesteryear they barely exsisted. It's a marketting illusion for the customer to appear like a car company stands behind their cars. Why do you think cars and parts from the dealership keep going up just a little every year? It's to make new customers pay for the warrenty work done one Joe Blow's C280 from dealsership 37364 in Nowehere, USA last year. The company won't pay for the warrenty work - why? Simple again - (a) then they'd actually be standing behind the product and might actually improve quality (b) why pay for it yourself when you can get someone else to? This leads to a terrible cycle in car quality - there's no real incentive to improve quality because there's no real financial penalties for the faulty product - it just gets tagged onto the next idiot's new car that walks through the door. However, warrenties look like it's a penalty to the dealership of the customer getting the warrenty work done to it (hence the illusion) - and they get a sense of customer service, satisfaction, control and they feel that they're using the dealership and for once they're in charge of the situation. Then they go out and tell all their friends about all the service they got! The courtesy shuttle with the heated seats and the talkative driver that made you feel good about your car and got the doors for you! The "free" cafe expresso coffee! Oh don't forget the cute service writer that made you feel apart of the team and cracked some jokes!

How do I know all this? I work in the service department of a certain German brand - Not Mercedes mind you.

Most car dealerships are one big show for the customers and I won't have anything to do with them. I'd only get one if I liked to be lied to and subjugated to hidden costs.

But that's just my two cents on the situation and why I like old cars. Also olds cars are works of art as opposed to 4523957834897 other people having the same one! But oooooh! I got the "sport package" and only 3737933643 other people have that as opposed to 4523957834897.

Sorry - I just got home from a bad day at work [:D]

Tory

1990 560SEL - W126
-929 nautical blue metallic & 262 navy blue leather
-58,000 KM (36,200 Miles)
-Euro spec Japanese import (KAT edition)
-Complete service history since new
-5,546cc SOHC 16v V8
-10.0:1 compression
-285 hp@5200 rpm, 324 lb/ft@3750 rpm
-2.65 limited slip diff
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 11:18 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

all i can say is ditto not to mention the fact that the 100 of relays and sensors on the new cars have a shelf life-(not a working life) of 5 to 7 years top. I bet some condom name brans last longer. Great speech by the way-you made me want to buy another vintage.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 07:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 300TE 4-Matic 300GD

Hi.

"why would you get a 25 car year old with all the problems it implicates?"

You can also turn that question around. Some owners say the same, exept they trade "25 year old car" with "new". I,ve seen my share of both problems.

If you live in a place with advanced maintenance capabilities, and you are able to indentify a good shop, it does'nt really matter. In that case it is more or less up to the owner, and how he uses the car. With proper use and care, chances are that you will have few problems with a newer Mercedes. If you do, it is easy to rectify, IF the workshop is "seriously" in business. They have to take the time necessary to find the fault. And they have to consider that the fault may lie in the "operation", not in any physical error that you can see and touch. They have to be interested in the symbiosis between car and driver. This is where the key lies. In the future that will be a lot less of a problem.

If you live in a rural area, with no advanced MB shop handy, I would definitely go for an older nicely kept one. That will probably serve you best economically, and give you less problems. I don't know how it is in Nicaragua, but there should be quite a few new ones in the area before you go for one. Interview the shop candidates before you decide. If they don't seem helpful at this point, they sure as hell ain't gonna be better when you arrive with your symptoms.

New cars seem to be designed to operate in a livingroom. Once you deviate from 20 degrees Celsium, add some humidity, or somehow get close do the designed "edges" of operational conditions, you're on your own. What you do then counts. You have to appreciate that in your car, there are processes that are very sensitive to temperature. Hardcore computer over-clockers can testify to that.

One thing can't be mentioned too often. Stabilization. Stabilize your electrical voltage before you start the engine. Putting in the key, and turning it fully immediately, WILL give you problems. If you don't take the time to let your ECU's stabilize, they will not serve you well in the end. And don't let ANYONE give you cables. Just don't do it. "Hah, this guy makes a living by assisting owners. He has to be biased". That's a fair assessment. Jugde yourself. But this is my firm sincere opinion.

"so was kann ich machen?"

Kaufen Sie ein Mercedes W123 oder W124. Was sonst?

Diesel sounds just great to me in your case.

Good luck.

Regards

Geir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in