post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to RGordon Send a message via Yahoo to RGordon
(Thread Starter)
Questions on 1971 220 Diesel.

I scrolled through the past couple of pages, and saw a few about this era, this model benz and figured there must be a bit of knowledge and experience with these cars out there.

I'm not a german car fanatic, I pretty much specialize in 60's and 70's british sports cars (MG's, Triumphs, etc.) and I dabble with american muscle (although it's so straight forward anyone can work on them).
I have come across a 1971 220D in perfect shape though, and being in michigan, older, foreign cars in great condition is damn near impossible. It seems to only have 77,000 miles or so on it, everything is spotless and I'm going over there before wednesday to listen to it, and trundle it up and down the road for a while.
I just wanted to know about any details I should pay attention to (rear CV's, vaccuum hoses/pump, glowplugs, rattles, bangs and crashes). I know how to check all the normal things, suspension, brakes and general upkeep, but if there are any exceptionally expensive, relatively common failures on these cars, I would like a bit of information before I go over there. No need to go to battle unprepared you know?

It doesn't seem like these cars are sought after (maybe it's their anemic power output and relatively small stature) I don't know though, I find the car sort of charming, so no jokes about it being a taxi-cab, I'm already disgusted at myself for being excited about possibly buying it.

Oh, the owner has it listed for $2750... but I am sure i can get him down to $2000 or so. That's my other concern, is the person that disinterested in the car? or does it have some imminent failure that only him, and other benz enthusiasts would know about.

Sorry for the essay, I hope someone out there has owned, repaired and loved one before, i'd like to know as much as possible.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 04:57 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: W123 280E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Questions on 1971 220 Diesel.

$2700 sounds quite expensive i think... $2000 sounds ok. It's not a rare model so it's relatively cheap. If it is in PERFECT condition, $2700 might be reasonable.

-With 77k miles the engine and transmission MUST be in perfect condition. If they're not, forget the car... Or haggle $500 off the pice. The engine is not worth to repair, its usually cheaper to swap another engine in.

-Dont even look at the odometer ("mail meter" i mean.. is the odometer correct word?). It has only 5 digits so it doesnt tell you anything... And it takes only 15 minutes to turn it back couple 10k miles.

-Look at the space between rear doors and body. It should be the same everywhere. If the space is smaller at bottom of the door, the body is slightly bent at the rear suspensions "fastening point". Look at the first picture, i mean the space between the yellow lines.

-Check for rust everywhere behind rear tires. Remove the trunk carpet and check there too.

-Floor carpets are easy to remove too, look under them.

-Check the rear wheel bearings, they are not-so-fun to change, you need special tools.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24_1340644_114200475800AM.jpg (41.5 KB, 95 views)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: