LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Head leak on w111

I'm looking to buy a 71 280SE 3.5 that is in pretty darn good condition. My mechanic flew out to see the car and I've only received a synopsis as he's in route back home now.

Any idea on how much it would cost to correct this head leak and is it possible to fix a compression issue without a total rebuild?

Ah, and we both agree the clutch doesn't have much left in it (one of the few 4 speed manuals out there). Any idea on replacement cost? I really appreciate any thoughts here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 09:19 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: None
RE: Head leak on w111

Hello,

Welcome to vintage. Your car is a W108, I believe.

First of all, the 3.5L 8-cylinder engine has a lot in common with the 4.5L power plant.

The challange with dealing with this leak is the timing chains on the V8 can prove painful to deal with.

It has a manual? Everything I know tells me that the V8's back then were never paired with manuals because they were too powerful and only auto's were used - maybe that explains why it's used up? Research into it.

Good luck,

Tory

1990 560SEL - W126
-929 nautical blue metallic & 262 navy blue leather
-58,000 KM (36,200 Miles)
-Euro spec Japanese import (KAT edition)
-Complete service history since new
-5,546cc SOHC 16v V8
-10.0:1 compression
-285 hp@5200 rpm, 324 lb/ft@3750 rpm
-2.65 limited slip diff
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 03:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: chris

the 3.5 on my data is listed as a W-111 and comes with automatic and 4 or 5 speed tranny, the w-108 is listed as only having a 2.8 engine "UK only that is" not sure about other countries
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

I believe 26 manuals were specially ordered from the factory. It's a very rare option.

And yea, it's a w111. Anyways, my mechanic thinks it will be two to three grand to fix it right. Might move on this.

Any help is appreciated.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 10:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

i have some limited data on the engine due to the age of it like timing chain setup/valve timing proceedures and technical data, nothing on the gearbox which is an area i dont normaly cover anyway
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 10:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24_1293378_912004124247PM.jpg (49.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 24_1293378_912004124307PM.jpg (57.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 24_1293378_912004124332PM.jpg (82.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 24_1293378_912004124353PM.jpg (69.3 KB, 63 views)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Teky, way cool on the help. I really appreciate it. My mechanic is tallying his estimate and though his speciality is Mercedes no doubt this will help. Thanks so much.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 03:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

any time mate i have other data on your request, it might not be the age thing but the same anyway many newer mbs were made with the same systems and when you need it i will look throught my data and compare[:)]
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Okay, gents, here is the analysis from my mechanic. I appreciate and welcome any advice or criticism. Thank you so much in helping me make this important decision.

------------------------------------------------------

Here is the report of my observation during close inspection of that gorges 280 SE.

Car looks handsome, meticulously clean with a serious come on and drawl on me attitude, but the eyes of faithful Mercedes enthusiast will immediately pick up the unfortunate flaws. Her are what I saw.

Front of the car really puzzled Mr. (Fever Sr.) as well as yours truly, back corners of the Hood had almost perfect gaps with back end of left and right fenders, and these gaps gradually increase to very noticeable ¾ of an inch at front. It looked like the Hood have been shaved toward the front or both fender are pushed outward, almost all gaps on the car are not correct. Now puzzle is I couldn’t pin point any sign of frontal collision. Also Hood had lot of FLOP at Grill area above 40 MPH.

Car had a serious collision on the back end to a point they had to replace trunk longitudinal reinforcement panel (the cross brace panel where the lid striker sits). Also I can categorize the total body repair less than standard and it will require proper repair procedure in future. During high speed turns I noticed unacceptable amount of body groan and shudder also not to a disturbing level but they are there.

Paint work looks just fine with plenty of sheen on flat panels, but close inspection of panel joints, confined areas, door sills and hinge cavities reveals plenty of disappointing imperfections.

The car was spotless in every aspect, (J) keeps that car absolutely spotless and I believe his garage was air-conditioned also (the town) doesn’t have destructive humidity but non-conforming (domestic) Carpet have been installed.

General purpose non-Mercedes Exhaust system provides unsightly underneath appearance.

There is acceptable (concerning the Odometer reading) amount of blow by in the Eng. Crank case, and it would be the best if it did not exist.

Immediate Cylinder head removal and machine work is a MUST since I noticed plenty of Compression in the Eng. Cooling system and obvious sign of Vapor in the Tail pipes, and I think (J) was aware of the situation since he did not look surprised when I mentioned my findings to him.

Crank shaft rear main seal needs replacement and Transmission must be removed to provide access, also I believe the clutch was in its last leg and both of these repairs can be done at the same time.

In my humble opinion purchase price of 14 to 15 grand would be a realistic numbers, another $3000 on the motor plus $5000 for body work, then it will transform to a perfect car for a reasonable price.

I tell you I had a blast in this trip, I had the great pleasure of spending the whole day with Mr. (Fever Sr.) and meeting Mr. Bob (our avid pilot) was a Joy on its own, he is a true gentleman and Scholar. (J) himself is a great guy and well accomplished American with a great deal of love for timely Master pieces.
-----------------------------------------------------

Let em rip, boys. Shall I negotiate my price and repair or continue my quest for another w111?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 11:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

well it sounds like the job has been done professionally, many cars of that age go through major bodywork so the fact its been done is a bonus, the rest sounds minor and to it sounds a good deal but no harm in trying to get the price down because of the repairs needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in