post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 67 250SE Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Member Here

Just wanted to say Hello to everyone before I got started asking a BUNCH of questions in here. So to one and all Hello.

I am about to jump into the Benz world with a 1968 250SE coupe. My first Benz and I have no idea whats it all about. At the moment, to me its just another vintage car. Something I want to "put back together".

A friend of the family, Uncle Herb, has offered the car to me a month ago. Knowing that I was mechanically inclined and knew I would cherish the car. He is getting along in his age. He had a quad bypass a little while ago and is starting to liquidate for fear of the "last day".

I had helped him a few months ago with the car. Gave it a tune up and a good cleaning on the inside. Put a new battery in it, just in case he needed to use the car for some reason. The car in my opinion is in fair condition. The exterior needs help, paint is faded, it was black. Some of the chrome has a touch of surface rust and some minor pitting. The weather seals are shot. All the emblems are there, but faded. Interior is better off. Seems Uncle herb had the leather redone sometime in the past. Only problem is the wood dash. The wood is in fine shape except the varnish. The varnish is practically flaking off. All the trim molding looks ok. Everything works on the inside, a/c, radio, etc. Uncle herb had purchased the car from his old friend Beverly. Beverly is in her 70s too and caught wind of the sale from Uncle herb to myself. She had called me up to tell me if I wanted, she would give me the old paper work that came with the car, I thought WOW!!! It's an auto tranny, no sunroof, and manual windows. Black on tan. Tranny drips oil alittle. I dont know if this model or year had electric anything in the car. All and all, its in fair to good condition. Nothing I couldnt handle.

I dont have any idea what this thing is worth. I think I'm getting a deal, i hope. I don't want to mention the purchase price yet till I ask what this car maybe worth. I have tried to find some info online, but not much. I maybe looking in the wrong places. Which brings me to this forum.

Can anyone help with some info on the car. I noticed 2 sites had two diffrent numbers for the chassis. I would like to find out more on this Benz. Are there any prone or common problems with car? Where can I find parts, if they even have parts, for the car. Any info from history to technical would be much appreciated. I would like to thank anyone returning a post in advance.

I hope to restore this vintage in time. I hope to hold this for a long time to come and enjoy it as I enjoy Uncle Herb's company. Thanks again.

grezm0nkey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 04:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: 1975 Mercedes 300D
RE: New Member Here

If you are looking for a good price range for the car you might be interested in checking out www.nada.com
I think that their prices are fairly accurate.
Good luck with the car, vintage MB's are a lot of fun.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 06:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2004 E55-1970 280SEC
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Welcome! Another W111. They are popular on this forum. Here is an outstanding site I found for our W111's. Its a guy who is restoring his and he is documenting it. Lots of super useful info...

http://www.220seb.com

2009 C63 AMG Silver/Charcoal
1970 280SE Low Grill Coupe 2.8 Silver/Red

Past
1999 SLK230/Sport
2001 SLK32 AMG
2004 E55 AMG
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the link, I took a look and had good info. I was just curious to ask if all 111 chassis are the same, other than the engine size. I noticed the benz in the link looks identicle to my 250SE coupe. My ride seems to have a few of the same problems with wood varnish and some loose leather around the edges too. In any case I will try to post some pics of the 250SE soon. Thanks again.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 09:39 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1967 250 SE Coupe, 2001 CLK 320, 2009 GLK 280 4MATIC
Send a message via MSN to Miguel

Hi,

I own a 250 se 1967, is a very nice car, lot of fun. Check www.heckflosse.nl you´ll enjoy it.

Send pictures of your car. Here I send you some of mine.

Miguel

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24_1293335_912004113928AM.jpg (43.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 24_1293335_912004113947AM.jpg (34.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 24_1293335_912004114006AM.jpg (32.3 KB, 59 views)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 02:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: chris

spot lights mate something not right there, they are meant to be chrome[?]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 05:44 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1967 250 SE Coupe, 2001 CLK 320, 2009 GLK 280 4MATIC
Send a message via MSN to Miguel

Teky,

what you see in the picture, are the leathe covers of the spot lights. There are the original MB ones.

Grettings,

Miguel
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Very nice, clean. I cant wait to get on top of my 250 and work on it alittle. I noticed the head lights are diffrent, and I dont have spot lights. Ive got round headlights and these nipple looking bullet marker lights. Not to mention one is clear white and the other amber. Like I said I dont know much about these chariots. Funny the markers are miss matched too. Thanks for posting those pics. I'll try to get mine posted soon.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 06:05 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 1965 220 SEb 111.021
Send a message via Yahoo to dbag65

His headlights are what the designers of the 111 originally intended. The amber turn signals are inside the top of the Euro style headlight.US code at the time required standard round headlights on all vehicles so US versions have the stacked double round lights. Our version of the lights is actually a collectable feature in Europe. Both of your "nipples" should be amber and wired as the turn signals. The white lenses on both sides of the US headlight surrounds are blanks on early models, but apparently do light up on some later versions.

GW Bush, Duly Appointed Deserter in Chief. Somewhere in Texas a village is missing it's idiot.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 08:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: chris

leather spot light covers that sounds a good idea, i have never seen them to be honest not even at some of the classic shows, probably because you want people to see all that chrome anyway they would get pinched in the uk[:)]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in