Vintage Forum Official Photo Gallery - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 732 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 08:35 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Vintage Forum Official Photo Gallery

vintage tin( to borrow a term from the old hot rod crowd)heres a W100 600 put out ot pasture after a hard life ferrying wedding parties about.[:(]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24_1395231_1252005103830AM.JPG (54.7 KB, 1977 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 732 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 07:11 AM
Cam
BenzWorld Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to Cam

Quote:
mercmad - 1/26/2005 2:35 AM

vintage tin( to borrow a term from the old hot rod crowd)heres a W100 600 put out ot pasture after a hard life ferrying wedding parties about.[:(]
Out to pasture [:0]?!?!?! Somewhere in Australia?

I just noticed your SEL has Queensland plates, fellow Australian I gather? I'm a victorian [8D]
post #63 of 732 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 08:04 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Yep,Brisbane!,land of hot summers and warm winters[8D]
The 600 is 10 minutes from the center of brisbane city!,in the background you can see some of the other relics (pontons)plus the falcon stretch limo reflected in the paint.
theres all sorts in this place,Rolls royces,126's both SEL and stretched.Jags and fiats and even some 3-0-0's .
It all belongs to a wedding hire company.Though i think the 600 may have lasted longer than some of the marriages[:D]
Sad though [:(]
post #64 of 732 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 04:36 AM
Cam
BenzWorld Junior Member

Cool, I'm from Melbourne. Land of cold winters and.... yeah...

I love Pontons too, I've been getting so into Merc's lately. I've always wanted a 600 (grosser) and a black 280SE 4.5 ever since I saw the black one in the exorcist when I was a teenager.
Do you know if the 600 is for sale?
post #65 of 732 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 05:30 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Cam,beleive me,win the lotto first,a 600 is a $200,000 car and if you were to buy this one,it will be priced around $10,000 ,it will cost an easy 190.000 to get on the road.
i have lots of mates with them,but the one in the pic is history,it's been there for nearly 20 years.
You can read all about them on our site;
www.m-100.cc
I have more old Mercs than I know what to do with,and this is after I've thinned the fleet down a bit.they're cheaper and better than usual Aussie "icon" holden or falcon,i should sat initial cost is cheaper.You soon get to be a regular on eBay to get cheaper parts.heres a pic of another one I've got,that will get the complete running gear from a 300 SEL 3.5.It looks a bit scruffy,but is actually a very good straight car.some clown stripped it and painted it satin black,then gave up before the flames were added
[xx(]
It was a black originally,so it may stay like this...[8D]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24_1400166_131200573319AM.JPG (56.3 KB, 959 views)
post #66 of 732 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Cam
BenzWorld Junior Member

Yeah, I know, they're worth a mint. I went to the Mercedes factory and Museum last year and bought every book and brochure I could find on the 600's which leaves me with quite a cool collection of paraphenalia [8D] Now, if I could only read German[:I]

Even if the car has been there for 20 years (cost aside) unless there is severe rust, mechanical or accident damage it should be salvageable I'd imagine?

That finnie is cool. If you're not after the satin black it is an easy enough fix. Particularly if it's already straight as a gun barrel. Some satin blacks if colour sanded back can come up gloss with a coat of 2pak clear. Failing that it wouldn't be too hard to hit it with a 2 pak black after minimal prep work.
Are the later model engine and transmissions easily transplanted into the finnies and pontons, like what you're doing with the 3.5?
post #67 of 732 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 02:59 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

You should visit our club sitehttp://www.m-100.cc and look at Karl Middlehuaves work with the 600's.He's the world expert but is considering retirement now.As you will see he has coupes ,hearses ,station wagons and a farm loaded with 600's.
Any body work on a 600 is wildly different to a regular benz,the average cost to restore all that wood veneer,installing it your self is around $10,000.and theres alot of leather in there to repair,$50,000 average cost.
Did you know they have total hydraulic control of the seats,boot lid and doors,it all runs off one circuit and on each seat there are dozens of little steel pipes.I think Karl requests $15,000 up front to rework the hydraulics on a 600.
The air suspension is the same as the 109 and W112, with the addition of a high pressure regulator.The parts such as the rear airbags all interchange with the 109.You will never see 600 parts on eBay..[:D]Although the occaisional restoration project pops up,and the average on those is around US $10,000.
The finny [8D],Putting a V8 into it is what the Germans call a "leggo" job,you just clip it all together.You can't do it with a PONTON though,totally different front crossmember and the engine bay is a bit narrow.the best bet is a twin cam 280.One from a 116 is the best bet,high compression and different cams to the 114 engine and miles more power than the US spec engine in the W126 280SE.
Up grade the brakes to 108/109 discs and you'r laughin'.With the W111 finny,the floor pan is the same as the 3.5 ,as is the suspension etc.Various little things like sway bar sizes etc are easily sorted.
The real hot set up is the M-100 6.3 into the W112 (300SE) coupe,Have a look at Karls two ,A convertible built for him by AMG and a black coupe he did himself.[8D][8D][8D]
My favorite will always be my 6.3 [}:)]
post #68 of 732 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 03:01 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

You should visit our club sitehttp://www.m-100.cc and look at Karl Middlehuaves work with the 600's.He's the world expert but is considering retirement now.As you will see he has coupes ,hearses ,station wagons and a farm loaded with 600's.
Any body work on a 600 is wildly different to a regular benz,the average cost to restore all that wood veneer,installing it your self is around $10,000.and theres alot of leather in there to repair,$50,000 average cost.
Did you know they have total hydraulic control of the seats,boot lid and doors,it all runs off one circuit and on each seat there are dozens of little steel pipes.I think Karl requests $15,000 up front to rework the hydraulics on a 600.
The air suspension is the same as the 109 and W112, with the addition of a high pressure regulator.The parts such as the rear airbags all interchange with the 109.You will never see 600 parts on eBay..[:D]Although the occaisional restoration project pops up,and the average on those is around US $10,000.
The finny [8D],Putting a V8 into it is what the Germans call a "leggo" job,you just clip it all together.You can't do it with a PONTON though,totally different front crossmember and the engine bay is a bit narrow.the best bet is a twin cam 280.One from a 116 is the best bet,high compression and different cams to the 114 engine and miles more power than the US spec engine in the W126 280SE.
Up grade the brakes to 108/109 discs and you'r laughin'.With the W111 finny,the floor pan is the same as the 3.5 ,as is the suspension etc.Various little things like sway bar sizes etc are easily sorted.
The real hot set up is the M-100 6.3 into the W112 (300SE) coupe,Have a look at Karls two ,A convertible built for him by AMG and a black coupe he did himself.[8D][8D][8D]
My favorite will always be my 6.3 [}:)]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24_1402046_22200550228AM.jpg (39.1 KB, 845 views)
post #69 of 732 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 05:15 AM
Cam
BenzWorld Junior Member

Black mercs and tyre smoke. Doesn't get any cooler than that [}:)] I saw a photo of the 280 with the 6.3 in it, I'll have to check out the website in great detail.

So a 116 280 motor will fit in a Ponton then? Awesome, I think I've found my next project. Pontons don't have independent suspension tho, do they?[:I]
post #70 of 732 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 12:54 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

All mercedes from 1934 have independent suspension.,why do you think they are the best car in the world?
http://www.autogallery.org.ru/mb170.htm
Hers the link to see the earliest Merc with full independent front and rear ends.[:)][:)][:)][:)]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in