post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: 1984 w123 230ce
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
w115 oil pressure...

I have a w115 220 with an oil circulation isue... there is not oil reaching the top of the engine, however the pump appears to be working correctly and the rail across the top of the cam shaft is not split or blocked... I have removed the dizzy, adn there doesnt appear to be a blockage there; oil is getting to the bottom of the distributor, and the dizzy oil seal is in good condition and working correctly.

the oil pressure warning light extinguishes after start-up, however the guage shows zero pressure... I have removed the line from the filter head to the gauge and no oil squirts out when the engine is running... ...same for cooler hoses, so my next step is to remove, strip and rebuild the filter head/filter incase of a blockage there.

is there anywhere else a blockage could be to cause these issues, or are there any other areas I can check to try and resolve this...

the engine has done 65,000kms from new, however it has been standing for a while, but due to lack of information on the web, owners manuals, etc., I am really struggling with this issue...

any help appreciated

ben :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 08:53 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: None
RE: w115 oil pressure...

Hi.

Former W115 200 Euro owner here - rebuilt the engine.

You can never fully trust the sensors on these cars - You have to almost confirm for yourself on a regular basis that everything is ok.

Run the engine without the oil cap on it to see if you can actually see circulation. Alternatively if you cannot see well into the engine, run the engine, then take the valve cover off and feel for oil on the camshaft.

If you have run it for a time to know that there is nothing showing up on your gauge, you will notice the sound of the engine - if it sounds normal oil is probably circulating, but if not oil is circulating, the engine should sound like a nightmare.

If you can visually confirm no oil is reaching the top, post your findings and I will troubleshoot with you. Try a new oil pressure sensor? Oil systems are extremely solid on these engines and is not a common problem.

Take care and good luck

Tory
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

thanks for the reply... I brought the car cheap as the engine wouldnt start. I replaced the battery and away it went, but there was a terible screaching noise, similar to a really knackered alternator/waterpump, which I tracked down v.quickly (like 30sec's) to the top end; there was no oil getting to the cam-shaft/valve-stems and I think the top end may have siezed which is initially why it wouldnt start. I poured some oil over the cam shaft, started it up and the screaching went away (engine ran like a dream). I have inspected the top end and everything seems to be in good shape and running freely.

I have checked if there is any oil mist in the top of the engine, and there isnt. The tube which runs oil over the cam shaft is clear and not cracked, and the galleries seem to be open. I stripped the oil pan/pump and that seemed to be fine, and is turning correctly with the engine and pumping oil. I have stripped the oil filter head and that appears to be working correctly. I replaced the filter as the one fitted was really old (prob 10000miles or more) and re-ran the engine, then removed the oil filter again... there was no oil reaching the filter, so I removed hoses one at a time from the oil cooler to check for oil-flow. There is oil flow at the one hose (from filter head to cooler) but not at the return hose (cooler to filter head) so I think the issue might be a blocked cooler (it looks like the original one from 1972). I am guessing its blocked so bad that the oil is not passing through the cooler, back to the oil filter head (where the line to the oil pressure gauge is... ...which is working fine; I checked with an air line) and up to the top end of the engine

My plan now is to rig something between the hoses to bypass the cooler, and then run the car to see if that sorts the issue.. ..I dont want to shell out on a new cooler, as the only place I can find one is MBUK and they want £430+vat!!!..

I am thinking if the oil cooler is the culprit, I will either get one from a breakers and flush-it/re-paint it, or get an std aftermarket one (mocal or similar) and fit infront of the radiator at the bottom of the grille rather than replace with a £500 part!

Any further thoughts greatly appreciated

b :)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

ok, I have been away with work for a while, adn not a lot has been done on the car. I got a hydraulic fitting to bypass the oil cooler, and now the oil is circulating through the hoses, but still not to the top of the engine.

when I brought the car, it had recently had a timing chain done at a garage, and so I am now wondering if the bearing-housing for the cam-shaft at the front of the engine has been re-fitted incorrectly or a gasket has been fitted backwards blocking the oil-way which runs to the oil-delivery tube over the cam-shaft.
I am planning on stripping this out towards the end of the week, but wondered if anyone had any other ideas as to what might be stopping oil from reaching the top end of the engine?

this is starting to drive me nuts, so any help is greatly appreciated

b [:)]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:35 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 1962, 220b (W111 010 50)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you seen the oil presure valve, imran into the same problem and found that the oil presure valve was stuck, I clean it put it back and oilwas back inthe valve train.
Good luck.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Premium Member
two questions , what is a dizzy , and second is it a 220 gas or diesel ?? .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in