LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
77 450 sel question

Was just curious if there is a euro model of this car and if so what is the difference from the US version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 08:33 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
RE: 77 450 sel question

Hi,
I did a quick search on the Euro 450 SEL
it came with a 6.9 engine:
286hp @4250RPM
~406ftlbs @2800
147mph top speed

Most the times emissions in the US required a down tuning and addinf a cat to the car resuslting in loss of power...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 09:53 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: None

Euro model of the 450SEL
225 bhp
279 lb/ft torque

US model of the 450SEL
180 bhp
220 lb/ft

Euro model of the 450SEL 6.9
286 bhp
405 lb/ft

US model of the 450SEL 6.9
250 bhp
360 lb/ft

Notice how much emissions control steals power! First major difference between Euro and US cars.

In Europe the 4.5L engine still exsisted on the W116 - the 450SE/L, it didn't jump from the 350 right to 6.9 as suggested above. Initially the 4.5L V8 was created for the US, yes, but that was with the W108/W109 280SE(L)/300SEL 4.5 as opposed to the jealous Europeans that only got the 280SE(L)/300SEL 3.5, which then jumped to the 6.3. This is the only example I can think of where the US got something better for a little while and it didn't last long.

Remove those CATS people!! I did [:)] Anything closer to the 80's with the 3.5 and 4.5 8's needs the help.

Mike: Welcome! What do you drive? Those delicious 6.9 numbers almost make you want to deal with the expensive costs to maintain it, hey?

Tory

BELOW:

First picture is of my 450SEL, second is not mine but is a Euro model or a modified US model. The lights are both Euro (I changed mine because the US lights are horrible). Notice the bumpers. Mine are still US, second is not - but I am working on finding Euro bumpers. The US model bumpers are not nearly as nasty loking if you change the lights [:D] I'll give the US bumpers something, though, they do offer excellent protection and peace of mind. Anyway, that's another physical difference between Euro and US W116's weather it's a 280SE all the way up to a 6.9 were the bumpers and lights. Euro cars also favoured headrests in the back and velour interiors - MB velour seats of this vintage are wonderful and very comfortable. Tex and even the leather can't compare!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24_1238052_5282004121159PM.jpg (26.8 KB, 527 views)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 10:30 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: None

One more thing.

To differentiate between a real Euro and a US posing as one. The key is the headlight washer wipers. It is a conversion possible to US cars but is not that easy to fully do. US cars are somewhat prewired for it, notice the three prong port on the washer tanks of these cars. US cars use one of the three, the two othetrs are for the headlight washers on Euro cars. Only a hardcore fan of these cars, like me, is willing to try that conversion hehe.

Tory
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 04:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

Hi w108,

:-)
those freaking emissions.... you know it really upsets me. the original spec 4.5ltr V8 does a prestty neat job... but if you chocke the engine to death you get a castrated ball sucking machine [:(!][:(!] combines with a slush suspension and then you wonder why ppl think Mercedes is slow ass [V]

Well anyhow.. I gor lucky and snatched a 2 owner 35k miles 1978 450SLC in very nice condition.. it is currently on the ship (comung from Hawaii, Honolulu)
[:D]

The 6.9 is a bit to big for me ehh.... the 4.5V8 is already "bad ass" enough for me [8D][8D][8D]

Laters, Mike
(oh.. my second car is a 80's Alfa Spider [:D])
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2004
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the input, I have the US version in silver with black interior, was a great car till the tranny ring gear went on me so I parked it and now I decided to part her out so I can spend more time on the 78 450sl. So if anyone is looking for something from the sel let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in