post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 1979 450SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
my 1979 450SEL

Hi I'm new here [:p] I've got a 1979 450SEL which is I guess in pretty good condition but as of lately my AC has been driving me crazy [:(]. It doesn't want to blow air except when I press the damn defrost button and I can't figure out what to do to fix it! I've already bought a new AC amplifier but that did nothing [:(]. I even bought a new AC switch (the buttons you press) and it made no difference. What should I try doing? Any help would be appreciated, even my friend is pretty stumped and he works in the garage area of Mercedes-Benz dealership.

here's what my car looks like [:P]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 10:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RE: my 1979 450SEL

Have you tried replacing all the fuses with new fuses?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 05:11 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

My 1979 280SE did the same thing,the dealer tried about 5 times but never got it right.I would get the service manual for the climate control from MB and start from the begining.I guess the Def. button bypasses what ever is causing your problem,good luck.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Yea I guess I could always try checking out all the fuses, you never know sometimes. Another thing though I've considered is maybe I have a leak somewhere in the vacuum system because oddly enough, I think I recall that I had a keyless entry thingy isntalled into my car but the dumbass that did the install ended up popping one of my door vacuum elements and I made him pay for a new one, but this could be unrelated but regardless of that, the day I had the key less entry install also happened to be the same day my A/C started acting weird because as soon as I drove my car home my A/C cut off, but then would turn back on. Later my friend determined that (as weird as this sounds) stepping on the break somehow cut my AC off and letting it go let it blow air freely again but also too the air was blowing out the defrost at the same time and began fogging up the bottom end of my windshield while driving with my A/C on at night. Pretty weird I guess but as my friend told me, once the vacuum messes up, its screws up many other things. For now I guess I'll maybe go with changing out this harness thingy (i don't know what its called) that seems to control most or all of the vacuum in my car that has some cracks in it and probably is leaking air out the vacuum system. Thanks for the ideas though [:)]. And any other possible solutions would be greatly appreciated too! [:D]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 05:01 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 84 300TD, 2005 CDI
Quoted: 73 Post(s)

I would check your blower. If it's old and has plenty of accumulated dirt on it it may hesitate to start rotating. A good remove and blow cleaning with compressed air and then a douse of electrical contact cleaner spray may be just your ticket. It solved my works when it wants A/C heater system.
William
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Update:

Fixed the AC! Turns out my problem was both electrical and vacuum. I had two bad check valves (i think thats what they're called) and leaks in other spots which were fixed with this quick drying glue stuff to seal where air was escaping the vacuum system. Once those leaks were sealed the compressor actually switched on! Pretty crazy stuff because even if you have a brand new AC amplifier, it doesn't do any good if you have leaks in the vacuum because your ac will remain dead and or just plain screwy (cutting on and off). [:)]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2006
Question Where can I obtain a FUSE ASSIGNMENT diagram?

Ditto on vehicle year and type (i.e. 79' 450SEL).
Having most restored otherwise, the fuses are a mystery. In position labeled "3" I have an 8amp (white) fuse which if I replace, the blower will work but if I turn the AC switch "ON" this fuse blows immediately.

An old Chiltons for 1978 MB says that this is suppose to be a 25amp fuse. Well the difference is so dramatic that I'm not going to put a 25amp fuse there with out fully investigating first.

Does anyone know what value this fuse should be?? 25amps is more than sufficient to burn up everything, I need to be sure....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Boring Cars...meh!

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 81 280E, 84 500SEC, 87 560, 89 "300E", 91 500SL, 15 E350 4Matic Estate, 71 BMW 2002, +others
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
You need a red 16 amp fuse for that location.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/nutz4benz/W123/6C3A9CA5-EDFF-4834-8125-34B70B20A676_zpsiyesrawz.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in