BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: 1973 280se 4.5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to prettybrit Send a message via Yahoo to prettybrit
(Thread Starter)
73 280 se seatbelts recover seats need advice

Ive just recently purchased a lovely little 73 280 se, a beauty of a car. Runs and drives excellent, my only issue is the rear seat belts, i have 2 young children and need to somehow install shoulder belts for safety with car seats etc. can they be ordered from merc for a reasonable price? i saw some universal fit ones on a auto parts website, but id like to keep it "pretty" as possible. I assume theyre would be drilling/welding into the frame..also not as important but, the seats are cracked, need recovered. any good sites? any idea on the costs? im sure a bundle..for now im just usin covers. any info on the seat belts please email me. thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 04:34 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEC
RE: 73 280 se seatbelts recover seats need advice

Hi,

I had the same thing with my old '74 450 SEL. If you are lucky, as I was, there should be fittings built into the chassis.

To check, do the following.
1. Lift out the rear seat squab. Do this by pressing the red buttons under the squab (1 each side), and simply lifting out of the way.

You should be able to see a couple of captive nuts that may have flat plastic bolts inserted into them. These are to take the centre lap belt.

2. To further check unclip and remove the side mouldings that cover the rear pillar either side. Behind these mouldings should be two captive nuts to take the top of the shoulder belts.

3. I think further captive nuts are just under the seatback but cannot remember!

These fittings were on mine, so I stripped the belts from a breaker and fitted them straight in.

You will need to change the side mouldings though, or cut them and trim them very, very, carefully. Your mouldings at the moment should have a shape embossed in them that a seatbelt would pass through. Obviously the belt cannot pass through unless these shapes are cut out. But if you cut them out there is a good chance you will chaffe the seat belt, so try to obtain second hand mouldings.

Good Luck

Shane
[:)]
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 04:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEC
RE: 73 280 se seatbelts recover seats need advice

Sorry,

Forgot to add that if you do fit the belts, the seat back will have to come out also. There is one screw either side on the outside edge on the bottom, one in the centre on the bottom as I recall. Then lift up and pull away. I would suggest having a friend to help. The actual seat belt mechanism sits just below the line of the parcel shelf.

If you need any more help, drop me a line and I will attempt to give you some more information, but it will be from memory as I have just said goodbye to my 116 after 11 happy years!

[:)]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in