post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Diesels Wanted!

High mileage Mercedes-Benz Diesels from the 50's, 60's and 70's are needed for the promotional launch of the new generation Diesel. The car must be original and unmodified, i.e., no biodeisel or other modification. The closer you are to Texas the better as that is where the campaign begins. More details as they become available.[:)]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 09:32 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2003
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Diesels Wanted!

My '91 560 SEL is gas, of course. I see plenty of old, really clean diesels around Houston. If I run into one, I'll send them your way!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 07:16 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 2006 E500, 2013 S550 and a retired 88 SDL

My 87 diesel may be too "new" for your purposes but what the heck post the information and I'll show up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24_1198956_32200491926AM.JPG (39.2 KB, 70 views)

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 08:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1991 300 SE

My 81’s not allowed, huh? [:(][V]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Here is the person to contact: maryalice.ritzman@mbusa.com. Please provide the following: model year, diesel model designation (190, 220, 240, etc.), condtion, mileage, and owner history. No modification! Preferably the original engine. Looking for 115, 116, 123, 124, and 126 Chasis models. 80's are fine! The dates are March 15-19, 2004 for the launch, so don't waste any time contacting MBUSA. Thanks! [:)] Location for the launch is San Antonio, Texas! Remember the ALAMO![:D]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

The slots have been filled. Thank you for the response and watch for the new E 320 CDI advertising on March 15![8)]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 12:10 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

What happened to the launch?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)

Mercedes takes risk by trying for mass appeal
By David Kiley, USA TODAY

Mercedes-Benz has an image problem, and it's turning to Mercedes owners — famous and unknown, dead and alive — to polish the brand in its first corporate ad campaign in seven years.

Mercedes-Benz hopes to appeal to drivers with new ads that feature Mercedes-Benz owners (and some of their pets).

Sales are holding steady, but quality scores in the USA are way down for the German luxury brand. In the next 18 months, it's coming out with products ranging from $25,000 to $450,000, highlighting a risky strategy of offering something for just about everyone, not just the wealthy.

Mercedes is expected to spend 25% of its $140 million U.S. ad budget for the year on TV and print ads featuring family snapshots of Mercedes owners standing next to their cars. There's no talk of horsepower in these ads, which start next week.

In one of the three TV ads, late actor Gary Cooper and retired basketball star Kareem Abdul-Jabbar are seen.

But another uses photos of everyday people who lead heroic or interesting lives, including members of the Danish Fire and Rescue Service and a South African veterinarian who uses his Mercedes in the African desert.

Mercedes is spending a quarter of its $140 million U.S. ad budget on ads featuring real people with their cars.

"No one ever poses with their toasters," the ads read.

The real customers, a few of whom are Mercedes employees, answered a request from the company on its Web site and in a newspaper ad to submit snapshots of themselves with their cars. Some sent shots of their cats and dogs, which are in some ads.

Mercedes sold 218,000 vehicles in the USA last year, up 3% from 2002. But that growth was smaller than that of luxury rivals BMW, Lexus and Cadillac. Sales are off 1% this year.

Most troubling for Mercedes is that fewer premium-vehicle buyers are considering the brand, according to auto research firm AutoPacific. The numbers of car shoppers who say they would like to buy a Lexus or a BMW are growing twice as fast as those who say they would like to buy a Mercedes, AutoPacific says.

"Mercedes-Benz has awareness, but consideration and actual intent to buy are more important going forward," says Michelle Cervantez, Mercedes vice president of marketing.

Marketing consultant Dan Gorrell says Mercedes is turning to a brand-building ad campaign to restore some lost nobility. But by using "real" customers along with a few famous ones, Mercedes is walking a fine line between presenting itself as both prestigious and affordable, he says.

Some of the lost nobility is from falling quality scores. J.D. Power and Associates last year ranked Mercedes 26th among brands for long-term dependability, down from first in 1990. Biggest problem: bug-filled electronics.

In response, Mercedes engineers have been told not to develop technology just because they can, but only if it provides an obvious benefit to car buyers.

And extraordinary attention is being paid to vehicles about to launch. The introduction of the $50,000 diesel-power E320 CDI sedan, due in dealerships next month, was put off by months for modifications intended to make it quieter.

The bright side, Gorrell says, is Mercedes has time to fix the problems because falling quality takes years to dent consumer confidence.

A report earlier this month by the Power Information Network, an affiliate of J.D. Power, shows the portion of Mercedes owners who trade for another tops all luxury brands at slightly less than 60%.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 06:05 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
http://The bright side, Gorrell says, is Mercedes has time to fix the problems because falling quality takes years to dent consumer confidence.
That is risky strategy, an informed buyer is pretty common these days with all the information at our finger tips.

I'd never make a major purchase without a handful of reference material that I can get just by sitting at my home or office workstation.

If this guy believe that consumer confidence is not immediately impacted he better think again.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

I had to laugh when I read your story about the launch delay due to cabin modification! My first Diesel was a 1961 190 Db with no headliner. There was a radio in it but I can't imagine why. The sound was a little bit like a freight train at full speed. Thank you for the update. [:D]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in