BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 450 slc
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear end noise ?

Happy Holidays listers all and a good New Year to you all

I have owned my "Collector" 450 SLC since September and since that first week have been troubled by a kind of rythmical but not heavy kind of repetitive noise coming from the rear end. At first it seemed to be coming from the right hand side but after having a friend sit in the back seat he assures me it's coming from somewhere around the centre. We don't think it's the diff because the noise is intermittent and not "heavy" it can be quite loud and tinny especially with the windows open. Sometimes it's not there at all and when it does come it's usually after the car is well warmed up. The innner right wheel bearing does show some signs of leakage but has been checked by a mechanic and he says it runs as smooth as silk. He has also checked to make sure the backplate behind the roror is tight and we still have the problem. I do have a minor sweat at the right output side of the diff but my fluid level remains okay. Is it possible that the joints inside the rubber boots just outside the diff need to be relubed or could something else we've not covered be the source of this intermittent noise. I'm tearing my hair out over this one because everyone is telling me nothing is going to seize up and I shouldn't be too concerned about taking the car for the occasional drive. Even my best friend who is a respected mechanic of over 40 yrs. experience. Has anyone had a similar experience. All assistance greatly appreciated.

Gordon Foster (Vancouver, Canada)

Gordon Foster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 05:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2111 GLK 2000,2003 ML 350,2006 R350,1996 300D, 2001 C
Send a message via AIM to 4benzes
RE: Rear end noise ?

Gordon:
Have you actually changed your rear end fluid and flex disc yet?[8)]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 450 slc
(Thread Starter)

I have not, and would like to know more about this procedure - can you elaborate and give approx. cost .
I do have the complete cd-rom manuals so I'll be checking there too. Thanks for any more info you can provide.

Gordon Foster
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 09:25 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2004

I don't know what the rear suspension in your car looks like, but few mechanics and I went round and round trying to find a serious hum coming out of the differnetial of my 240D. I replaced the differential and a wheel bearing, but the problem remained. Then I noticed a bit of powdery rust comming off the two rubber bushings that connect the lower trailing arms to the body. Turned out there was nothing wrong with the differential or wheel bearings, just the squished bushing had metal to metal contact (that's where the rust powder was coming from) and it transmited and amplified the normal operating noises. Good luck, Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in