LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 1998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
230SL stalling in hot weather

I own a 1963 230SL. In hot weather (over 90 degrees) after the car is driven about 20 minutes, the engine will stall out after deceleration (for example, after coming to the bottom of a highway off-ramp. Engine RPMs drop very low, and I must feather the accelerator. Will even out after a few blocks of driving but still RPMs are very low. Otherwise, the car will run well. There is no air conditioning or unusual load on the engine. Any ideas? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Re: 230SL stalling in hot weather

Hi richard,<br> <br> the 'stalling problem' described is most probably related to unproper operation of the fuel supply system. As it occurs only during high environmental temperatures I suppose that the fuel pressure supplied to the mechanical injection pump by the electrical fuel pump - situated in the rear body section close to the fuel tank - is not sufficient. For further details and help you may contact me<br> <br> klaus winkler<br> schlesierstrasse 14<br> 68642 buerstadt<br> germany<br> 0049(0)6245/995505
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Re: Re: 230SL stalling in hot weather

Thank you Klaus for the reply. It is unclear to me how the high temperature affects the fuel pressure supplied? I had suspected some sort of vacuum leak that became more pronounced at high temperatures. Also, I seem to notice a slight decrease in the normally higher cold start idle speed as if the automatic choke is not operating as well as before. Could the fuel pump also account for this issue? Can I test the pressure of the electric fuel pump as a further diagnosis? Thank you for your expertise.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Re: 230SL stalling in hot weather

Had exactly the same symptoms many years ago.<br> I live in UK and went to South of France for summer holiday. The car started doing exactly the same thing.<br> Local French mechanic diagnoised that it needed a heat sheild, ( Piece of Aluminium sheet ) to divert heat from exhaust manifold, that was vaporising fuel in pipe.<br> Made up something in about 20 minutes and problem solved.<br> I found out later that car shipped to normal climates are not fitted with factory shield but hot cuntry ones are.<br> <br> Mike Stone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in