Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tail Light and Brake Light Issue

605 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  Smifster 
#1 ·
Well, it's been about 10 minutes since I had a problem with the v280 and I was getting worried!!

So, my latest issue.....

When I switch the ignition on my back lights come on, if I depress the brake the brake lights don't work, when I start the engine both the back lights and the brake lights come on and stay on regardless if the light are turned on or if I'm pushing the brake pedal.

I have just quickly checked the bulbs and they look ok and not blown.

Any ideas??

I have taken some photos although not sure if they will help

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok, So found this on the internet

The most common cause of brake lights that remain on when the car is turned off is an adjustment problem with the electrical switch. Depressing the brakes activates the simple electrical switch that is located near the brake pedal arm and turns on the lights

Not quite the issue I have but thought I would look to see if maybe my switch was working. I found the switch and can't work out how it works.

The switch is a push button switch, I tested it and pushed it in and the brake lights went out! The way the switch is mounted tho when you push the pedal down the part of the system that touches the button actually moves further away from the switch so would not push it!

I don't understand!

As ever, please see pictures attached.

The brake lights and tail lights come on as soon as the ignition is turned on, if I turn the lights on there is no change.

When I push the button (brake switch maybe?) in the brake lights go out.
There is a click which I'm guessing is the relay working??

Any ideas, do we thing the switch is knackard??

Attachments

#3 ·
Been thinking about this all morning and sometimes when searching for an answer we can over complicate the solution!

The white button ( brake switch) needs to be depressed for the brake lights to be turned off so surely there must be something missing (probably a bit of plastic that has disintegrated from the constant brake pumping lately with my other brake issue) from the brake pedal / system that should press the button in while the brake pedal isn't pressed .... if that makes sense!

Looking at the photos again (vclass is at home and I am at work) and the white button isn't being pressed / held down while the brake pedal isn't be pushed.

Does that sound feasible?

What could be missing to hold the switch down, doesn't look there is a space for anything that isn't there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.