Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Coolant fan control module

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Korben 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I've got a 2002 2.8 V6 Vito (W638 V280) for which the coolant fan hasn't been coming on, I've managed to get the fan to work by connecting it straight to the ignition live so know that part's ok.

I've tried replacing the relay and the thermoswitch but still nothing, eventually I took it to a garage that said it's the coolant fan control module. The part seems easy enough to replace but was quite expensive (over £400) so I've been looking for a 2nd hand unit.

The details on my unit are as follows

HKR GD AI S112 (CU)
System E 5002.001

I've looked online and the only ones I can find seem to be from the A-class and have different numbers on the casing, will this part still work or will I need the exact same numbers?

One of the listings i looked at also said I'd need to recode the new unit to work with my ECU (or something to that effect), is that true

Am i better off just forking out on the new unit?

Is there an alternative, it seems like an incredibly expensive way to just turn a fan on and off!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

If you can give me the MB part number, (will probably look like A 638 xxx xx xx) I may well have one, perhaps post a photo of it too.

You could hard wire it via a switch and relay, but I'd advise against that, seen it a dozen times:laugh.........
I wouldn't go rigging up switches and wires etc, because one hot day you or someone else will forget to switch it on, then you'll have a cooked Engine :crying

HTH,

Cheers Dave

#4 ·
Hi,

Yeah, tbh pic doesn't tell me a lot, will need MB Part Number, usually A xxx xxx xx xx

Cheers Dave

#6 ·
Hi,

It's possible that is not an MB part, I certainly don't have one of those.

All parts I have ever removed from various MB's have always had MB part number, so I guess it could be some sort of aftermarket device :confused:

Regards

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.