Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2002 Vito 2.2 CDi Resurrection. Limp Mode etc.

10K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  VinoVitoes 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I have started a few threads over the last few days. Thank you sincerely to those that have had an input it my diagnosis.

I'd like to update my progress and learning so you can better advise me.

Soooo. The battery and fuse compartment looks like a car crash.
I think the ABS pump has been removed completely (coz it's not there). however I now have new clocks that work and the ASR (yellow tyre) is lit all the time. EDC light is on. ABS light is on. EBV light is on. Limp mode is still....Limping.

I want to open this van up and start again!!!!

What i now now is that the Fuel Shut off valave that was tie wrapped to the bulkhead, needs to go in between the low pressure pump and the high pressure pump. (But would this cause Limp Mode?? Andyman gave a great answer as to why the shut off valve is used, however, I have the keys and the car is not imobilised.

Is the ABS, EDC, MBV and ASR all linked together??

Only codes showing from OBDII scanner are still P1221 CAN traction control disturbed (though this only came on last night after i messed with the dash heater panel.)
P1622 Y75. Now, from what I can gather, there is a list of P1622 codes. Some are linked to the Electric Switchover Valve as in Y75, or what I now believe to be as the Vac Solenoid under driver wing for Turbo actuation. Though a simple P1622 code is for the fuel shut off valve. So, with my shut off valve hanging like washing on a line, maybe this is the true error code and not the Y75 as it reported.

To summarise then:

Limp Mode
Dash lights: ASR, EDC, ABS, EBV (ABS pump removed)
EGR removed, though no error codes so I need not mention this again.

So to the main question of the night.

Should or will the removal of the Fuel Shut off Valve create Limp Mode??

Will all the dash lights create LM too??

Does the removal of the ABS pump create all the dash warning lights?

Will I win the lottery this weekend?

Thanks

I also find this text on the MB Owners website:

ASR or start-off assist has been deactivated due to a malfunction.

The engine power output may be reduced.'

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow! What a challenge ⚠
Starting from the top:
Fuel shut off valve needed to turn off engine. Without it you may not be able to shut engine off. When you turn off the ignition the injectors will stop injecting but if you have a leaking injector the engine may still run. The fuel shut off will prevent this.
Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Automotive engine part

(It's the black thing in the centre of the photo.)
ABS, EDC, MBV, ASR, all linked to central control.
No ABS pump = ASR & ABS faults.
The ASR is the ABS. Same sensors, same 'brain box'. The ASR 'regulates' slip by applying the brakes on the spinning wheel. The same sensors are used in the ABS system to prevent wheel lock-up during heavy braking.
You need to have an ABS pump for it to work, plus ABS/ASR controller 'brain', plus all the wheel sensors and sensor rings need to be clean and working. Start with getting a pump if your van came with ABS/ASR.
Good luck with it. ?

Mercedes Vito. Making mechanics out of owners since 1998!?

#3 · (Edited)
Cheers Devito. That is the same valve i have.

OK. So.....I've had a guy looking. He's pretty certain this has never had an ABS unit fitted. I've checked wiring/fuse diagrams and there are NO connections for the fuse places, so I'm inclined to agree. Did i mention I've put clocks on from a Vreg Vito? However, I had limp mode before the new clocks!!

We're now wondering if the clocks store old info? say, if the van I took them off had ABS etc it's now looking for those parts, backwards from the clocks?

As for the Fuel Shut off. the car runs, starts, stops etc. without this in-line! it's rusted with the ball bearing inside in the closed position. I've since WD-40'd it and loosened it off, but I seriously doubt it's working. But I still can't find out for sure if this would cause Limp. I could take one off the Vito I'm using for parts, but it's half a days graft at the yard to get to it.

The guy i bought it off said he put a higher power, Sprinter turbo on it. Maybe it's overboosting? I took off the vacuum pipe from the bottom of the vac sol under driver wing. Today I'm going to check again without doubt there are no splits in any pipes etc. A friend looked at it and said the intercooler pipe was losing pressure while revving, but I've checked it all. i'll check again.

I know this is something simple. Only relevant error code is P1622 Electric Switchover Valve Y75

#4 ·
Devito

Will this cause Limp Mode if it is not attached to the fuel line?

I'm going to the scrap yard today to take off a used unit, but it'll take some graft to do it.

I'd rather not if it's not going to make a difference.

Cheers.

Andyman suggested the Rail may be picking up pressure after the shut off valve has been activated and throwing the fault as there is obviously still pressure in the rail?

I'm in to my 3rd week trying to sort this now. Need a holiday from my Van :(

#5 ·
If it is plugged in but not connected to fuel line, I don't think it will show a fault.
If a plug is not plugged in then the ECU can sense this and shows a fault.
The rusted valve should never be connected to your fuel line again as the rust will ruin your pump and or injectors.
I am interested to see how the fuel lines are without the fuel cut-off in circuit. What joins the 2 pipes together?

Mercedes Vito. Making mechanics out of owners since 1998!?

#6 ·
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wellllllllll. Boooom! Fixed. Whoooosh.

So, Y75 IS the Fuel Shut Off Valve. It was staring me in the face the whole time. It was screaming at me. Not surprisingly so a it was hanging off the Van by a cable tie and only connected by wiring harness.

What threw me was the description on the OBDII scanner. 'Electric Switchover valve'.

Anyway, it was a help of a job removing and refitting. No easy task.

I haven't driven it today, but fingers crossed all is good.

Devito, this is how the Van was:

Fuel filter to low pressure pump, directly to high pressure pump.
(Shut off valve had power but was rusted in the Closed position. I can only assume because it was rusted in the closed position, this threw the fault.)

However, I changed to a new (used) valve and still Limp Mode. But the small fin inside that keeps the ball central was mssing so the ball would not stay central. called seller and gave me a refund.

Went to Scrap Yard and spent 3 hours removing another used unit.

Spent another 3 hours refitting.

Cleared codes. Still in Limp. Took it for a spin, still no turbo. Cleared codes, turned key, error P1622. cried. Broke down. Cleared codes, took it for a spin, still in LM. Cleared codes, left engine turned off and went in my mates house to cry some more. decided to go home with tail firmly between legs.

Booooom. Whoooosh. Yeeehaaaaaaa. Been celebrating ever since.

So, the set up should be (for anyone else watching) is fuel filter to low pressure pump, to fuel shut off valve to high pressure pump.

As Andyman has suggested, maybe the Rail Pressure sensor pics up pressure after engine off and work back assuming Shut off Valve (Y75) is the problem. OR, it just took a few tries at clearing and a few quick drives, to recycle the ECU and convince itself it was no longer a problem.

Finding out what exaclty was happening would be the ideal scenario as maybe it was working with the 2nd unit I bought, but i just didn't cycle it enough to clear the code.

Right peeps. For all of you that helped. Great stuff. Thanks again.

Next problem is bleeding the clutch AGAIN to see where the issue lies with it sinking to the floor.

Whhheeeewwwww. And Breathe! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.