post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2014
Vehicle: 2002 Vito 108 CDI, Two 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 2.7 CDI motors
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Vito in Kyrgyzstan

Just a few pics of my W638 with 2.2CDI (108).

Our winter driving conditions

Love how much it can hold (the motorcycles are an F700GS and an F800GS Adventure). Took the bikes, baggage, and riders about 550km down to the Uzbek border crossing near Shymkent, Kazakhstan.

Zbooh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 12:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2001 Vito 112cdi WVO
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Good lad!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 04:04 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: V220
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
good lord thats packed in !

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 02:14 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: W126 500 SEC 1991; W638 Vito 108Cdi
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nice website and an interesting venture
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny DeVito View Post
good lord thats packed in !
Thanks! It took us two hours to load the bikes (it is just two, the third tire in the middle is just a cushion to keep them from rubbing on each other). Clearing customs between Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan they wanted us to unload the bikes. We pulled all the luggage out, but they wanted the bikes too. We just laughed at them...eventually they quit asking

Figured about 800 Kilos between bikes, passengers, and luggage. Made 7.5 liters/100 km all the way to destination! Love the Vito!
Zbooh likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 02:05 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 2000 638 108CDI Vito
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Hey

I like your Vito, and can relate to having bikes and gear trying to explode out of every door. Haha. It's about to happen with with us again occasionally soon also

1000 apologies if I am being too nosey, but I am a very inquisitive person, and after reading your replies in my rebuild thread...I just gotta ask.

Ok. How'd you end up in Kyrgyzstan?

I admit, I had never even heard of it. Curious now.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbooh View Post
Hey

I like your Vito, and can relate to having bikes and gear trying to explode out of every door. Haha. It's about to happen with with us again occasionally soon also

1000 apologies if I am being too nosey, but I am a very inquisitive person, and after reading your replies in my rebuild thread...I just gotta ask.

Ok. How'd you end up in Kyrgyzstan?

I admit, I had never even heard of it. Curious now.
As we say in the southern US, "Ain't nothin' but a thing" AKA, no worries. The day that I'm uncomfortable answering that question I need to move...I get the question almost daily. Besides, I crashed your thread

I usually answer, why not? I mean look at some pictures of the country and it's spectacular! Basically my wife and I wanted to try and move somewhere we thought would be really cool and at the same time try to start a business and do some good. We looked around and picked Kyrgyzstan. The main attractions were the mountains and nomadic, yurt culture. Started by teaching English, then started a tour business. The longer version of the story is here. For good measure here's a photo gallery that I've put together. The picture that you commented on almost looking fake was taken by my lead driver this past summer at Kel Suu. It's a high elevation lake (like 3600 meters, I think). Except last winter we didn't have enough snow, so the lake was empty and he could drive out onto the lake bed. It's crazy remote and near the Chinese border, but well worth the effort to get up there.

One of the more exciting parts about living here is the traditional nomadic culture. They've got some crazy games like Ulak Tartysh (expats call it "Dead Goat Polo"). Basically you take a goat minus the head and ride around on horseback fighting over it and trying to throw it in a goal. Quite a dangerous and interesting sport. My friend stephen is a professional photographer and put together a gallery that he shot at the first World Nomad Games that Kyrgyzstan hosted here this year.

Anyway, the place is breathtaking. It's a lot of work, but running a tourism and car rental business here is a lot more exciting than anything I ever did in the states. Our WJs are basically stock, but as long as you don't want to do hard core wheeling, they really stand up well. Replace a few bushings now and then or maybe a ball joint or tie rod end and they'll pretty much keep going. (Unlike my Subaru Forester that I just got rid of which broke stuff on paved roads regularly!)

Feel free to ask away...I love where I live and what I do, really don't mind answering questions
jimmyjames likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.