Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

power output (new first time owner)

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  malcolm@mill.me.uk 
#1 ·
thanks for looking

first time Merc owner and still new to this site
have 2002 108cdi vito front wheel drive
having trouble finding some background specs

but seems other models have same engine with different power outputs??

if correct could someone please point me in the right direction to explain how and why.

not looking to increase power ( I believe if you want more power buy something more powerful ) just like to know what I can about what I own.

very happy owner and enjoying reading the good and the bad

thanks
Frank

#2 ·
vitos use a common engine in most models (except petrol and "high performance")

the first 3 digits of your vin are the model e.g. 638 the next 3 digits the engine type e.g 194.... the last 3 vdigits specify car or van but oddly enough uk tax doesn't use them (we are all "vans")

the power differences come from the "additional" bits and tuning ("mapping")

the turbos vary as does the intercooler (not fitted to 108 or 110 models), fuel pump, injector system etc.

just to confuse matters, most parts have a common part number but are for different engine powers.. normally identified by extra digits eg m1, m2 etc

you can "improve" a 108cdi by re-tuning or re-mapping its brain (thye ecu) for around £200 to £400 (depending who does it) but remember bying an upgrade "chip" is nowhere near as good as a proper remap.

without too many problems you can remap a 108cdi to a 110cdi with re-mapping the ecu........ you can also re-map to 112cdi but it must be remembered that the turbo will be under-spec and it needs an intercooler.

if the intercooler isn't added or you "gun" it i.e you are lead footed and accelerate hard or long.... the turbo and injection system tend to break up... in the case of the turbo, 112etc models have slightly thicker vanes and "flowed" cylinder head.. "gunning" it can cause the turbo vanes to break up and the cylinder head to warp.

I know some will advocate re-mapping 108 to 112 or higher but these problems can occur to anyone although some will get away with it.

re-mapping 108 to 112 or greater, with an "eco" retune, will allow higher mpg simply because you can change into higher gear earlier than usual.

its your money... its your decision

malcolm

#3 ·
thanks for all the info
answered all my questions plus some I haven't thought of yet
definitely sticking to my original thought of keeping everything standard
and nice to have a few facts to support it

nice to see a few bikes in your profile
have BMW K1200 GT 2004 riding
Goldwing LTD 1985 rebuilding
Yamaha TR1 1981 in storage

will have to add these to my profile

thanks
Frank

#4 ·
mine is a 110cdi and when fettled I will probably remap fully...... in my case its prely to get better mpg... I know I'm a hooligan who used to enjoy a 3tonner around marble arch, it let the band in the back laugh as taxis had to get out of my way.

I know I'm an idiot who likes to put his foot down (I remember regular 120+ before speed limits were introduced... london to lancashire in about 2hrs, with no motorway across birmingham) but these days I am more sedate.

as you will see from other posts, I take some pretty heavy medication and have to be careful in order to keep my licence.

a long time ago I found that slow and wobbly in a car and someone will report you as drunk... but slow and wobbly in a vito and the attitude is simply "bloody van drivers" and you're ignored.

one odd thing... I've been done for almost everything except drunk (odd because I used to drink very heavily)... I have never been stopped or queried whilst smoking a pipe (1oz + a day).. only cigarettes or nothing at all...... a pipe means you're respectable (they don't know me)

I used to be a BMF instructor for cbt and direct access (as was the wife).. I love my z1100 shaftie even though it burst into flames at lights in manchester.... put it out, insulated the wires and continued....... but the best fun is the wifes xbr500.... 500 single with the same engine as a dominator... completely reckless with a habit of dying as you slowed for, or went around, a roundabout.... I'd recommend the fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.