#1 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Starting issues 2002 Vito diesel

Ok guys I'm now at a wits end with this problem I'm having with my Vito. It's a 2002 108cdi. Here's the story. It is really struggling to start, battery is only about 1 year old 18 months at the most. I've had my fuel lines replaced as apparently the rubbers in the clips fail. I've had the o rings replaced as I was getting air in the fuel. That (I think) has now been eliminated and still no change. When I go to start the van it wil crank and crank and crank sometimes after 30 seconds of cranking it will fire, other times it won't and I will need a jump start. When it's cold or has been sitting for a few days like over a weekend there is no chance of it starting an I will just jump start it from my other car. When jump starting I will need to rev the other car up to around 2000rpm for it to want to start. It will cough like it's trying to start but may take 30 odd seconds before it will fire. Sometimes in the morning after driving half an hour or so I will get to a job and turn it off then try to start it 1 miniute later and it won't start. But leave it for an hour and it will start. Well struggle to start but it will fire. The problem started about a year ago where it will always start no worries but will take about 20seconds to fire and sometimes will take 2-3 attempts. But now its not starting.. It has just become un reliable and I never know if it will starter not.. Once it's started and driving it drives as good as gold like a brand new car. Glow plugs seem to be fine with the coil light turning on then off as normal. Van has only 175,000kms on the odometer and ive owned it since 50,000 kms old PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 12:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2000 108CDI, 2007 120 CDI long, Suzuki K5 GSXR track bike, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R
Hi ya, if there are no air bubbles in the lines then i would say battery, they are very critical to having a good strong battery especially on a cooler morning, if its not spinning over fast enough it will attempt to go but just not fire. The other thought is a worn starter motor, mine lasted about 170,000 miles before it had had enough but i also had three new batteries in that time. Its a cdi and won't need the glow plugs unless the temp is -5 and below and even then it fire right up.

Martin
#3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 01:25 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank mate. Ive heard startermotors can go but it seems to be cranking fine?
#4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 02:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2000 108CDI, 2007 120 CDI long, Suzuki K5 GSXR track bike, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R
It all depends if it is cranking fast enough to fire, my first port would be to try another battery on it and see what happens but it is one or the other i would guess. When the mileage gets up the compression will be down slightly so it will be more critical of the speed it is turning over and seeing the problems you have had with non starting i would tend towards the starter being tired
#5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

could be a lack of pressure in the rail, an injector leaking off excessive diesel into the return will drop rail pressure

o rings on the rail pressure valve will cause this also

the cam sensor can also cause it to crank and not start, but usually doesnt do it all the time. A fault code in the camshaft/crankshaft synchronisation will let you know whether that is the issue

try starting it with some aerostart or a similar product, if it runs then its a fuel pressure issue
#6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:33 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
How will I know if it's an injector Dropping rail pressure? So it's either starter motor, cam sensor or injector rail pressure.?
#7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 11:56 PM
BenzWorld Member

i doubt it will be starter motor, you need to get a scan tool that will pull a rail pressure value. a synchronisation fault code will tell you if the cam sensor is faulty.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 12:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Why would jump starting, ie. Giving more volts overcome any of these problems?
#9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 01:01 AM
BenzWorld Member

give it a go but i dont think its a starter issue
#10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 01:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparch View Post
give it a go but i dont think its a starter issue
Hi ya, why don't you think its a starter issue ? could you explain. If it was a drop in rail pressure it wouldn't start at all and there would be air in the system

Martin

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.