BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help, Key Won't Turn

Help Please,
Went out earlier, unlocked van 2004 CDI 111, inserted key in ignition but it wouldn't turn! I tried a different key but that key wouldn't turn either? I've put the battery on charge in case the battery's low? The van won't lock or unlock now. Any advice please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: CURRENT Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 and many many bits
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I know others will come to your rescue with an answer but first may I suggest well oiling the locks......... it won't hurt but may help especially with the external locks.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:57 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Well, I've oiled the locks but don't see how that would make a difference.
For some reason the van doesn't recognise the two keys and won't lock or unlock, the ignition won't turn with the key as if the battery is dead or low. I charged the battery last night and its fully charged now but still no luck.
What about the electrical faults or ecu?
Anyone please, I need advice and don't want to get screwed by merc Dealer....
#4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: CURRENT Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 and many many bits
as I said, someone will know..... they MUST know.

all I have been able to find is an ecu problem that can only be cured with a star diagnostic machine... basically as you said.. the van doesn't recognise the key.

as for the lubrication bit......... there are loads of instances where the lock mechanism (even on quite new vehicles) stop working due to "fur" building up from corrosion of the lock "pins" and stopping them turning.......... its incredibly stupid but my neighbour had it happen on his car and couldn't get in to charge the battery.... the key simply wouldn't turn. the cure was to "pick" the lock (it took a locksmith 2hrs) by forcing the pins to move...... once opened and recharged, he had to oil and operate the lock several times a day for weeks until it was reliable again..... the dealer said not his fault (the car was 10months old) the court disagreed and mb had to pay.

best of luck
malcolm
#5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 3.0l cdi Viano Ambiant
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Plastic key's don't oil that part it will wreck the Ignition.
If both keys don't work and the doors don't lock the the battery will be flat.
Charge it over night and then see.

Do the lights work, any of them?

Ian

Find us on Facebook Vito world

Last edited by zenman 63; 01-31-2012 at 02:54 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
The Instrument cluster comes on when the door is opened, Hazard light switch works as do internal rear light/cab light and internal lock switch. Lights come on when on dipped position and fog lights work but can't figure it out. I charged the battery for four hours last night and it seems to be fully charged but i didn't check the voltage across the battery terminals. What should the voltage be? Would a dud battery cause this to happen? I'll try jumping the van tomorrow?

Thanks in advance.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I've seen zenmans reply and its a good one, I've read your answer and original problem and decided to do some asking of others and I've looked through old postings.

the likeliest problem is a collapsed battery........... this will seem weird but so are modern batteries.

they can appear ok and can show full voltage (anything from 12 to 14volts nominally 13.8 under no load)

you can have lights working fully but not be able to turn the engine and there are numerous instances where headlights on full beam do not dim when you try and turn the engine... but it won't turn and the solenoid doesn't even click.

apparently its to do with the internal resistance of the battery..... test gear is high resistance, lights are effectively high resistance when compared to the starting circuits.

the only real test is to disconnect the battery and connect another in its place..... it doesn't need to be as big a battery.... in fact any car battery will do.

if the systems start working, get a new battery........ oddly enough a "jump" from another vehicle will only work with the suspect battery disconnected.... "jump starts" will fail.

as I said... its weird......... I've found lots of cases of the phenomenon and have even had it myself.... It just didn't occur to me.

malcolm
#8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 110cdi Traveliner
Does the 639 read the chip in the key in order to unlock the steering lock? If so, could well be a dead immobiliser.

This may sound stupid, but have you tried waggling the steering wheel whilst trying to turn the key? I had an old BMW 3 series, that although the ignition barrel lock was so worn you could start it with a spoon, the barrel wouldn't rotate if the steering lock had engaged and gotten the whole shooting match into some ridiculous tangle. Was freed by waggling the wheel usually.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:06 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi, tried wriggling the steering wheel and turning the key method but no luck. I'm gonna order a new battery today and hope this works. Fingers crossed. Thanks to all who replied so far.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:44 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 110cdi Traveliner
Yeah, sorry. Realised after typing that it's probably one of those new fangled locks with no key?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.