vito chrome trim???? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Smile vito chrome trim????

hi all. i was hoping with all your wisdom you may know where i may be able to purchase a set of chrome bumper/trim for the outside of my vito. it is usually black plastic (on the outside of the doors) but in a couple of sarges photos in "pimped out vitos" people have chrome ones and as i have chrome handles i think they would really make it but i cant find them anywhere for love nor money..... please help ive looked everywhere. thanks
jerseysi1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: CURRENT Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 and many many bits
last ones I saw were on the sites of "bodykit" suppliers on ebay........ several of these "shops" have links to their own sites............... the price differences can be large between different people.

sorry not to be of greater help

malcolm
malcolm@mill.me.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks mate I had a real good scan but no joy.... Looks like I might hAve to colour code them. Cheers though Malcolm your help was much appreciated
Old 01-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: CURRENT Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 and many many bits
I saw a vito with chrome bumpers and side defenders, the other day.

with you in mind I followed him home, after 8miles he was getting a little paranoid about being followed, and asked where he got them.

they were done by himself using mirror window film, heatshrunk on with an hot air gun....... not quite chrome but pretty good.

with that in mind I phoned a couple of vehicle sign fitters........ they said that high chrome film is easily available and they could "wrap" bumpers and side protectors with no problem if the parts were taken in, removed from the vehicle.

I was on a roll and resumed my original journey to my local (actuall 30 miles away cos I like them) car paint shop (used to be an autopaint shop).

whilst one guy was colour matching my paint (no idea what the colours called) we chatted about "wrapping".... "why not spray it" was his reply.

his suggestion was flatten the existing finish with wet and dry and if its the pure plastic parts (that aren't sprayed already) prime them with an etching plastics primer, spray filler, flatten and then spray with the new "chrome" look paint........ he showed me an example and it looked like high quality chrome plate.

I got my 2pak and came home

anyway, 3 ideas for you on the chrome bits

malcolm
malcolm@mill.me.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2001 110 CDI (sold) 2006 111 CDI Comfort (current)
Us lot in the theatre (luvvvvies) use a paint with metal powder in it to achieve a chrome effect. It's not one for people with alergies due to metal dust, but it gives an amazing finish, you can also buff and polish it just like you would a piece of metal. It goes a long way too.

But as Malcolm said, the spray chrome paints available at the moment are amazing in what they can achieve
martinriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

hi peeps.i would like to thank you all so much and apologise it took me so long to reply (especially with you going the extra mile, or ten for me) i have had two house moves in quick succession so my internet was on and off all the time. i really do appreciate it and have since looked into all your suggestions and i think im going with the stretched film (really cheap when you have "a mate" lol) again thanks martin and especially you malcom it means a lot, its in the spray shop now so once ive got it all stickered up ill post some pics :-) been working through the whole van and replaced EVERYTHING should be nice when done. long live the merc!!! (mine before tuning already whooped the transporter

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class