BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: Vito 115cdi 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Serpentine belt

Today my serpentine belt decided to leave me - in shreds. I have a new belt but guess what, I have no idea how to route it. Can anybody please help with a diagram of routing? The vehile is a 2005, 115cdi, 639 with a/c.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: CURRENT Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 and many many bits
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
without your VIN number I can only supply general info.

I attach the belt diagrams for several engines, if you require more specific info and setup details I will need your VIN

MB call it "the Poly-V Belt"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Remove install poly-V belt 112 646.pdf (260.2 KB, 418 views)
File Type: pdf Remove install poly-V belt 272.pdf (288.9 KB, 283 views)
File Type: pdf Remove install poly-V-belt 642.pdf (210.6 KB, 274 views)
#3 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 3.0l cdi Viano Ambiant
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Interested to no what milage that went at?
I take it you don't use a service schedule?
#4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
@ Malcolm: Thank you very much, mine is the first pdf you posted. I thought it was going to be a bugger to fit but once I ha dthis info had it done in 10 mins flat. All up and running again.

@ Zenman: I am the second owner and I cannot find anything in the service records indicating that it was replaced before (I have the full service history). I certainly havn't replaced it before now and the van is on 325 000 km. I do oil and filter changes regularly according to assyst system. Other than that, on every service check for worn / suspect parts and replace as nescessary. Actually checked the belt on the previous service and there were no signs of cracking / breaking.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: CURRENT Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 and many many bits
unfortunately you have suffered from modern materials technology.

the poly-v belt is made from kevlar threads coated in a moulded polyurethane casing.

Polyurethane is extremely flexible and resistant to most chemicals etc.

kevlar doesn't stretch (well not to any real amount) and when it wears it suddenly snaps rather than fray or stretch

when the kevlar threads start to snap, you get "catastrphic" failure and the polyurethane jacket then pulls apart.

greatly complex explanation but what it means is that you are unlikely to see wear until it snaps, only seeing wear if something is out of line.

its significant that since this type of belt was introduced to cars and motorcycles (one of my bikes has one instead of a drive chain) manufacturers have included it in the "emergency spares" neede on journeys in remote areas, together with fuel, oi and waterl
#6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
That is quite interesting, meaning that routine visual inspection (as the owners manual prescribes) is of no use really.

Anyway this van is only used in and around town so help / spares are always fairly close.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright spark View Post
@ Malcolm: Thank you very much, mine is the first pdf you posted. I thought it was going to be a bugger to fit but once I ha dthis info had it done in 10 mins flat. All up and running again.

@ Zenman: I am the second owner and I cannot find anything in the service records indicating that it was replaced before (I have the full service history). I certainly havn't replaced it before now and the van is on 325 000 km. I do oil and filter changes regularly according to assyst system. Other than that, on every service check for worn / suspect parts and replace as nescessary. Actually checked the belt on the previous service and there were no signs of cracking / breaking.
Interesting, I will see if I can find when Mercedes say it should be changed.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I would NEVER recommend not checking the belt.........

in my case its checked visually and twanged every month....... because of my medical problems and limited income I don't put much mileage on it.

checking the belt shows up misalignments in pulleys, pumps, alternator etc and damage to other parts......... it can give an early sign of problems in other bits way before it becomes serious.

the only thing it won't often show is the likeleyhood of it snapping........ if that happens you get no power steering, electricity or water circulation (the dangerous bit)

malcolm
#9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 110cdi Traveliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm@mill.me.uk View Post
its significant that since this type of belt was introduced to cars and motorcycles (one of my bikes has one instead of a drive chain) manufacturers have included it in the "emergency spares" needed on journeys in remote areas, together with fuel, oil and water
So does this mean if I take the Vito to a remote area I will effectively need to fill the back of the van with spares such as injector bolts/washer, wiring loom, sensors, vacuum pipes, turbo, fuses, POR15 etc ?

#10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 03:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Found this

For optimum protection, most experts recommend replacing V-belts every three to four years, or every 36,000 to 48,000 miles. A recommended replacement interval for serpentine belts would be every four or five years, or 50,000 miles.

So at that milage it should have had 4 belts!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > V-Class